What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad a generic term

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recent in the news, it has been reported that the iPad is so strongly linked with tablets, that it is fast becoming the generic term for them. It is not unusual for brand names to gain iconic status that allows them to become part of the lexicon. We are all familar with the use of Kleenex, Xerox, YoYo, Coke, and many others as generic terms. Apple is not unfamiliar with it. iPod has become a common term for MP3 players. This is a two edge sword, in that in some cases, the common use of a brand name dilutes the brand. However, Apple has a good track record of keeping the distinction with the public.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting. I still refer to the tablets as tablets but I do call Apple tablets iPads. It's just a routine for Apple stuff to start with an "I". Works out great. You just don't hear the Samsung tablets being referred to as galaxy's. Hmmmmm..... :)

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the issue is that those who do not know anything about tablets, will see one and ask what type of iPad do you have.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd guess it'd be those clueless about tablets, who don't know that there are various brands.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There was a time when most people thought of smartphones as blackberries. It was not that long ago, either.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The funny thing is, even my mom, who doesn't know English that well, but follows news in Chinese, knows there are different tabs. This is a woman with a large senior phone with giant buttons, which does little besides call people, lol. I was visiting and she saw me with my Kindle Fire and asked why I wasn't using my iPad. Then she nagged about wasting money, lol. Moms!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your mom is an expert because she sees you with at least two tablets and a phone (or two) which looks like a tablet. If she had a dollar for every tablet you have she'd be rich! ;)

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sure that there are aspects of this where different countries are experiencing this at different levels.

jeenyus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my boyfriend was cheating on me so I took his ipad 2 that we bought together. I went to reset it back to factory mode and started the new set up but after the wireless choice during. Initial set up it asked for a password and I didn't set one. Does that mean ill need to get his old password from him or can I bypass that somehow.

Any help?

Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your mom is an expert because she sees you with at least two tablets and a phone (or two) which looks like a tablet. If she had a dollar for every tablet you have she'd be rich! ;)

Lol. Have you been talking to my mom? Luckily, she doesn't really know how many gadgets I have, because I see her only on visits, or I'd never hear the end of it. She's thrifty even among Chinese people. I'd be using an abacus if I spent like her, lol.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, even my mom, who doesn't know English that well, but follows news in Chinese, knows there are different tabs. This is a woman with a large senior phone with giant buttons, which does little besides call people, lol. I was visiting and she saw me with my Kindle Fire and asked why I wasn't using my iPad. Then she nagged about wasting money, lol. Moms!

Oh KayKayKay...I can just envision that large senior phone with giant buttons! My mom wants one of those!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh KayKayKay...I can just envision that large senior phone with giant buttons! My mom wants one of those!

She loves it. It was hilarious when she showed it off to me for the first time. (I was suitably impressed, of course.) My dad has one, too. Now at least he can hear the phone ringing, because it's extra loud, too, lol.

My bro got a pair for them, because they were always complaining about normal phones.

Amazon.com: Snapfon ezONE-C Senior Cell Phone with Big Buttons and Easy to Use: Cell Phones & Accessories: Cell Phones & Accessories

Most reactions

Latest posts