What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD 7th Gen, 11 (A2197) ERROR 4013

William Scott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on an iPAD 7th generation for a friend of mine. It gives me a 4013 error when attempting to restore. I have attempted a Windows laptop and my mac book. I have tried SEVERAL different cables as well. The IPAD basically boots up to the apple logo and then reboots itself and continues in this boot loop. He said it needed an update but storage showed full so he didn't process the update and was removing apps when the IPAD froze at which time he powered off and back on to restart and it has been like this ever since. I have tried my Windows laptop with the latest iTunes installed and my macbook with Big Sur OS installed. All fails to restore. I have also tried 3utools alternative to do a restore and ReiBoot. I have attempted to restore in recovery mode as the iPAD right now is booting to the recovery screen telling you to plug it into a computer. Same issue. I have put the iPAD in DFU mode (as this has normally worked for me in the past) and experience the same issue. I have also attempted on the windows pc to hold down shift and click restore and select which ipsw to flash and results in the same issue. The iPAD is only roughly two years old, it has never had screen and/or battery replaced. I read someone online said they removed the screen and restored and that fixed it and also that another person said flex cable to camera goes bad causing this error and they removed that and it flashed (haven't tried these yet to see) and then also I read someone say that the issue is that since it is boot looping the battery won't hold enough charge and causes the update/restore to fail due to a "software bug" I was wondering if anyone has figured this out as most people say they end up just giving up and buying a new one or having apple fix it. Unfortunately this one is out of warranty so I'm trying to do everything I can to get it working for him.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You probably know this, but if there is an Apple Store nearby they will run a diagnostic for free, then let you know what a repair will cost. It is likely that they will recover it from the current boot loop during the diagnostic, if it possible.

After which, of course, you'll probably find out that you're better off buying a new one than paying for a repair.

But there's a chance, a chance . . .

OP
W

William Scott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably know this, but if there is an Apple Store nearby they will run a diagnostic for free, then let you know what a repair will cost. It is likely that they will recover it from the current boot loop during the diagnostic, if it possible.

After which, of course, you'll probably find out that you're better off buying a new one than paying for a repair.

But there's a chance, a chance . . .

Yeah I'm aware but the nearest apple store is honestly almost two hours away. I'm a network engineer and been doing IT for years. I can typically fix stuff better then the Apple techs honestly. So, I don't really want to drive that far and just helping a friend out since it's not mine. But this seems like a common problem with no fix I've seen online besides "take it to Apple.". I've tried multiple cables, a windows pc, a macbook, and recovery as well as dfu mode. I've tried third party repair programs all same issue. The only thing I haven't done is take it apart and mess with a restore without the camera or screen hooked up since I read a few people did that and it restored. So I'll probably try that and if no go then maybe he logic board is toast. I'm not messing with soldering it so if so I'll just tell him time to buy a new one. Bad part is it's only two years old lol.

OP
W

William Scott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I'm aware but the nearest apple store is honestly almost two hours away. I'm a network engineer and been doing IT for years. I can typically fix stuff better then the Apple techs honestly. So, I don't really want to drive that far and just helping a friend out since it's not mine. But this seems like a common problem with no fix I've seen online besides "take it to Apple.". I've tried multiple cables, a windows pc, a macbook, and recovery as well as dfu mode. I've tried third party repair programs all same issue. The only thing I haven't done is take it apart and mess with a restore without the camera or screen hooked up since I read a few people did that and it restored. So I'll probably try that and if no go then maybe he logic board is toast. I'm not messing with soldering it so if so I'll just tell him time to buy a new one. Bad part is it's only two years old lol.

Apple will do everything I've already done and basically say sorry it's out of warranty but you can buy a new one while you're here. Once out of warranty based on past dealings with them they put on less effort to fix it since it's out of warranty and more effort in selling you a new one.

Mowpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple will do everything I've already done and basically say sorry it's out of warranty but you can buy a new one while you're here. Once out of warranty based on past dealings with them they put on less effort to fix it since it's out of warranty and more effort in selling you a new one.
Seems like a great way for Apple to thrive even more, my same model I pad has done this, I guessin two years my replacement will do the same, just out of earranty

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems like a great way for Apple to thrive even more, my same model I pad has done this, I guessin two years my replacement will do the same, just out of earranty

That has not been my experience. I have four iPads, the oldest of which is 11 years old and still in use. Never had a problem with any of them.

Mowpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That has not been my experience. I have four iPads, the oldest of which is 11 years old and still in use. Never had a problem with any of them.
This was my first trouble. And I have had many iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts