What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 won't start/1402 error

k5james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 won't start/1602 error

Ok, about three months ago my iPad 2 got ran over. (don't ask) The digitizer and LCD were thrashed but everything else seemed to be in working order and since I was no longer under warranty I decided to fix it myself. I replaced the broken parts and it was back up and running fine. Today I set it down so I could eat lunch and when I finished eating, I picked it up and it had a black screen and wouldn't light up. I attempted a reset (screen/home) and every other combination of buttons to no avail. I was sure it wasn't the battery as I was about 60% when I put it down but I figured I'd try charging it anyway. I did and still no luck, no apple screen no charging screen nothing.

After doing some research I attempted to boot it up in recovery mode and do a restore with iTunes but every time I try to restore I get a 1602 error.

Everything was working perfectly fine on it until today. Right now I'm trying to leave it unplugged and pray it drains the battery completely and see if that will work but do any of you have any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
K

k5james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried some more software reset actions and no luck. I'm thinking it's a hardware issue and most likely the logic board. Anyone know what the symptoms are for a faulty logic board?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you also see this:

This error is often related to USB timing. Try changing USB ports, using a different dock connector to USB cable, and other available USB troubleshooting steps (troubleshooting USB connections. If you are using a dock, bypass it and connect directly to the white Apple USB dock connector cable. If the issue persists on a known-good computer, the device may need service.
If the issue is not resolved by USB isolation troubleshooting, and another computer is not available, try these steps to resolve the issue:

Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
Restore and wait for the error.
When prompted, click OK.
Close and reopen iTunes while the device remains connected.
The device should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
Try to restore again.
If the steps above do not resolve the issue, try restoring using a known-good USB cable, computer, and network connection.

This error may also be resolved by disabling, deactivating, or uninstalling third-party security, antivirus, and firewall software. See steps in this article ( http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3125) for details on troubleshooting security software.

(Support Apple)

Last edited:
OP
K

k5james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, that was part of my attempts to restore it. In doing some more searching, it appears people have had similar issues with a "black screen of death" and were able to fix it by thumping on it. At this point I'm willing to try anything so I'm going to put it back together and give it a shot.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was part of my attempts to restore it. In doing some more searching, it appears people have had similar issues with a "black screen of death" and were able to fix it by thumping on it. At this point I'm willing to try anything so I'm going to put it back together and give it a shot.

Hitting the back of the iPad has been a fix for members with a screen with multi colours......I've never seen it mentioned for a black screen....but if it works at this point, no harm trying!

When you tried the reset did you do it for at least 30 seconds? It always takes that bit longer when doing it from a black screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts