What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 64GB WiFi problems (cannot connect)

Anthy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got myself a new cisco/linksys wireless router and all my problems were finally solved.

cochisecc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 64GB WiFi Internet not opening

After 3 days of screaming, crying and cussing, I finally stopped by ATT store today (my wireless provider) and had them call the tech group for me - the person on the phone said my router needed 'tweaking' to accept the Mac signals. He tweaked, I got home, fired it up and worked like a charm. After so much frustration, wanted to post to save someone else the headache I've had! :ipad-peacock:

Kes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 64gb, wifi only, iPad 2 was working well for over a month at home, and at public hotspots in McDonalds & Panera Bread. Today, at the exact same location in both McD and PB, The iPad wouldn't connect to the Internet. Wifi connection was ok , strong 3-arc signal -- but no Internet. I tried 3 other public, free hotspots, was hit with the same 169.xx, no Internet, problem. Drove home, totally frustrated, lo - the iPad connected to my home router - and the web! -even as I pulled into the garage. What a flaky performer! Sheesh.

Last edited:

JenstarOz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem. Found a solution for now!

Hi fellow iPad sufferers,

Have been going mad for the past couple of weeks since my work gave me (and about 40 other staff) an iPad2 - such a pretty thing - and told us to learn how to use it! I think I'm the only one of the 40 with this major problem.

As with most contributors to this thread, I could connect to the internet via WiFi but browsing the net has been a very spasmodic occurrence - fine last night but nothing today and nothing most of last week. Everything is fine on the 6 other devices in the house (3 X Mac and 3 X PC), so I deduced that it's not a router problem. Nevertheless, I have tried every suggestion on this forum (power off, reboot router, forget network, reset network, brightness setting, update iTunes, etc) to no avail.

I can browse at work and at other people's homes but not consistently in my home.

I have fixed the problem twice now after reading suggestions online (I'm not particularly tech savvy. Well not all!). The first time, I changed to a static IP - I copied the numbers from my iPhone settings. But it has happened again.
Today I compared the numbers on the iPhone and iPad and noticed the DNS setting was different, so I copied the iPhone DNS setting onto the iPad and, hey presto (!), I'm able to browse and get on iTunes again etc. So now I think it's the DNS setting, not the static vs dynamic IP address.

Fingers-crossed this will be a permanent solution (I don't actually know what a DNS setting is, but it worked tonight!) As others have said, the iPad clearly has a problem retaining the settings, so I'm not optimistic but thought this might help someone.

Good luck.

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No matter what you do to get connected, your internet will keep dropping out until you get a new router.
It's the ROUTER ROUTER ROUTER:eek:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dpippel said:
No, it's NOT the router. It's the IPAD IPAD IPAD.

More often than not, local WiFi connectivity issues are directly related to the router's settings or firmware. Especially when a device attempting to connect is newer than the router. WiFi cards in routers, computers and iPads are pretty solid-state and are the last thing I'd check. Sometimes it's a driver issue or having to do with some third-party WiFi management software, but that's typically a computer problem that's not likely the case with an iPad.

Make sure your router is updated to the latest firmware (go to "support" page of the router manufacturer's web site and find the latest software to download. They will have installation instructions.). Especially if you've had the router for more than a year or so. For a lot of folks I have helped, this is often the fix.

Also try another channel in the router. You may be experiencing just enough interference on a particular channel to keep the iPad from connecting. Lots of ordinary stuff around the house interferes with WiFi.

Easiest test is to go to a Starbuck's or some place that has an open WiFi network and attempt to get on there.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kan601

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved!

I have the same problem with my IPad 2 and tried every suggestion in this thread and couldn't solve it. I've change to static IP, reboot my router, reboot iPad, reset iPad's network setting, etc but none of that solve my problem. Then found this solution work for me. I changed wireless security setting in my router from WEP to WPA then IPad 2 internet work flawlessly!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kan601 said:
I have the same problem with my IPad 2 and tried every suggestion in this thread and couldn't solve it. I've change to static IP, reboot my router, reboot iPad, reset iPad's network setting, etc but none of that solve my problem. Then found this solution work for me. I changed wireless security setting in my router from WEP to WPA then IPad 2 internet work flawlessly!

Glad that you got the issue resolved,thanks for letting us know the solution.

The Archangel

Most reactions