What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 64GB WiFi problems (cannot connect)

idevice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like I figured it out why iPad is so unpredictably stubborn sometimes. And I have found a real solution (not such pseudo-solutions as "turn off autobright" or "autofill").

The reason of getting 169.x.x.x ip is that router's DHCP-server is too slow for the jumpy iPad, and the server cannot give the iPad a correct ip (something like 192.168.0.x) quickly. So the jumpy iPad makes decision to get itself a 169.x.x.x.

The reason why router can't manage to do it is: it's busy with other tasks.

And that is why the full router-reset helps for a while. When the router's RAM gets busy with junk tasks results in DHCP low performance, so it's too slow for iPad's DHCP client. And that's why getting new modern AirPort Extreme helps too.

So, the real solution is: speed-up the DHCP-server on your good old router (installing latest firmware), OR just set up another DHCP-server in your subnet.

For example, I have a NAS (DNS-323), and i just turned on its DHCP-server and the 169-problem was just gone. It (DHCP-server) runs so fast, even for the jumpy iPad.

The subnet config is: good old router D-Link DI-642 192.168.0.1 (with DHCP-server's range: 192.168.0.100-199), NAS D-Link DNS-323 192.168.0.100 (with DHCP-server's range: 192.168.0.200-254).

So, now iPad just gets its ip from the fastest (second) DHCP server: 192.168.0.200.

You can set up second DHCP-server on your macBook or somewhere/somewhat else.

I think your missing the point in all of this.

Yes, while it appears you must go through a small mission to get Safari to go online, I would hardly call it a "real solution".

For, what are you going to do when you are in friends/family's house? Or in an office or store? Your going to ask permission to tweak their router's settings? I think not.

Why not just add some other HD iPAD web browsers like I mentioned above that would require no new setting changes (less headaches).

Further, why is that with these other browsers, old or new routers seem to work and yet Safari can't get online. I think you should consider the idea that Safari is NOT the only browser that can get you online on the iPAD.

oisee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For, what are you going to do when you are in friends/family's house? Or in an office or store? Your going to ask permission to tweak their router's settings? I think not.
Well, i was looking for solution for SOHO or home wifi network, fixing "issue 169.x.x.x". And yes, this is "real" solution, as far as you cannot fix iPad's DHCP-client by yourself. (AFAIK, Jailbreak cannot fix this too, and Jailbreak is creepy thing itself, actually. "Simply jailbreak" - that's ridiculous.)

Further, why is that with these other browsers, old or new routers seem to work and yet Safari can't get online. I think you should consider the idea that Safari is NOT the only browser that can get you online on the iPAD
Did i say anything about "Safari"? or about browsers? What would you do whith working browser and wrong ip which is out of subnet's range? What if you need AppStore/Mail/any other app using network? Lurking for counterpart in Cydia?

No, it is you who should realize that "safari" or any other browser is not the subject of discussion, because of it's different "application layer" of networking.

The ultimate solution is, sure, fixing jumpy iPad's DHCP-client, only Apple can do this.

Last edited:

oisee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idevice, you're so funny when angry.

I did read the whole thread, looks like you read only first post, or just did not understand a thing.

While you may have not mentioned the word "Safari". It is understood that we are still on topic as per the OP "Cannot Open Page: Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet".

Perhaps, you need to go back to the Original Post and re-read it. The OP was seeking a solution for "Safari" error message when trying to get online

It's really simple. Safari is the application that cannot get any data from network because of iPad's whrong ip. Safari is been mentioned by the OP as the most frequently usable application. It's cannot get online like any other application (AppStore/Mail, etc).

But it's ok, you can keep thinking that Safari is the root of evil, and do the whole DHCP-work =)

P.S. Jailbreak is legal but it is not a solution at all.

Please, stop making this information noise, making people hard to find the real solution.

Last edited:

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Unresponsive network always comes down to this:

- no physical connection
- no ip address from dhcp server
- no dns ip server
- too much traffic

I had some problem with my ISP lately. At some point, all devices and laptops were loosing Internet access for no reason. I simply followed those simple rules and guess what? Their dns were not working all the time... I simply changed in my router for those from Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). No more problems!

Some alternative browsers could have worked since they probably are using their own dns for performance reason (internal proxy maybe). Anyway, when in doubt, look at the dns settings, and try those from Google. If it works, then you know what the problem is.

VicoPad addict!

RichButch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue. when I connected my iPad to my desktop, the iPad synced and copied some Apps to my itunes on my desktoP. However, when it was part way through copying Garage Band, both the desktop and the iPad froze. I waited about 15-minutes, then decided to exit. Now I can no longer get a connection to my router. I was connected just fine with the router in the two weeks I've owned my iPad. However, while it finds and identifies my router OK, it no longer accepts my password (tried it about nine times). Then, with the above post, I noticed that, while it won't connect to my router, neither does it list the IP address, etc.
So, what do I do now? would reverting back to iPad's "virgin" state be the only recourse I have?
thanks for any help you can give.
~~Rich

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RichButch said:
I'm having a similar issue. when I connected my iPad to my desktop, the iPad synced and copied some Apps to my itunes on my desktoP. However, when it was part way through copying Garage Band, both the desktop and the iPad froze. I waited about 15-minutes, then decided to exit. Now I can no longer get a connection to my router. I was connected just fine with the router in the two weeks I've owned my iPad. However, while it finds and identifies my router OK, it no longer accepts my password (tried it about nine times). Then, with the above post, I noticed that, while it won't connect to my router, neither does it list the IP address, etc.
So, what do I do now? would reverting back to iPad's "virgin" state be the only recourse I have?
~~Rich

Before doing anything too drastic I would try the following.

Go into setting>wifi find your router, click on the arrow then top option, forget the router. Reboot the router then try to connect from fresh......that may solve your problem......but then again?

The Archangel

ATC2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RichButch said:
~~Rich

I had a similar problem, if you have not done so already try reseting your router, just unplug it for a few minutes then plug it back in. This worked for me, no problems since.

joatmon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realize that people are trying to help, but blaming a product's faults on another product is the oldest tech support trick in the book. I am having this exact same problem and have since I bought my iPad in November 2010. No matter what network I join (and I join quite a few of them), the problem persists. On my home network, I can see that the iPad is connected. I can look at my router status and see that the iPad is connected to the router and has been given an IP address and is listed as a connected device on the DHCP table. I have reset the iPad to factory settings many times and have upgraded from OS 3.2.1 to 4.2.1 and now to 4.3. Same problem no matter what the context.

Further, another common problem that may be related is that when I enter a URL, the blue progress indicator moves to about the "ww" in the url and then just stops. Eventually, I get another Cannot Open Page error (server stopped responding".

I turned off the auto brightness, turned off autofill in Safari. Same problem. There is no doubt in my mind that this is an iPad issue, but I have no further ideas about how to fix it. Does anybody see anything that I am missing or have any suggestions? (please don't blame the router).

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joatmon said:
I realize that people are trying to help, but blaming a product's faults on another product is the oldest tech support trick in the book. I am having this exact same problem and have since I bought my iPad in November 2010. No matter what network I join (and I join quite a few of them), the problem persists. On my home network, I can see that the iPad is connected. I can look at my router status and see that the iPad is connected to the router and has been given an IP address and is listed as a connected device on the DHCP table. I have reset the iPad to factory settings many times and have upgraded from OS 3.2.1 to 4.2.1 and now to 4.3. Same problem no matter what the context.

Further, another common problem that may be related is that when I enter a URL, the blue progress indicator moves to about the "ww" in the url and then just stops. Eventually, I get another Cannot Open Page error (server stopped responding".

I turned off the auto brightness, turned off autofill in Safari. Same problem. There is no doubt in my mind that this is an iPad issue, but I have no further ideas about how to fix it. Does anybody see anything that I am missing or have any suggestions? (please don't blame the router).

Thanks.

Have you considered seeking help from Apple themselves as it has obviously been a considerable amount of time that this problem has existed?

With regard to your comment on blaming another product, I appreciate that this is your first post on the forum but maybe you should try the search function, I have been involved in a number of threads on here where in the first instance connection problems have been blamed on the iPad but after a little simple testing the router has been found to be the problem. Rebooting and resetting is the logical first step in checking things out rather than something more drastic. In your case it seems different in that you have problems wherever you connect.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Have you considered seeking help from Apple themselves as it has obviously been a considerable amount of time that this problem has existed?

With regard to your comment on blaming another product, I appreciate that this is your first post on the forum but maybe you should try the search function, I have been involved in a number of threads on here where in the first instance connection problems have been blamed on the iPad but after a little simple testing the router has been found to be the problem. Rebooting and resetting is the logical first step in checking things out rather than something more drastic. In your case it seems different in that you have problems wherever you connect.

The Archangel

I agree with Gab, all my synching problems stemmed from my router. That is always my first step then the laptop, where I need to download iTunes, then I would contact apple if it persists. I haven't reached apple stage yet but maybe you need to do this now?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would try this. They have great customer service.;)

I appreciate that this is your first post on the forum but maybe you should try the search function,

....and this.:)

RichButch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reply to my own message

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Actually, I did unplug and replug my router prior to sending my original post, but failed to mention it.

What happened, however, was that about an hour later, I was able to get connected... seemed like "magic", as I was just watching TV since the previous time I tried (and failed) to log on, but, for some reason, it worked this time. My hypotheses?

1. I was downstairs and my router is in the basement. While I have been able to be connected w/no problem on the second florr in the past, I wasn't able to for the past 24 hours. This might have made a difference.

2. Some random event (cosmic background radiation, changing the brightness on my screen, DNA hiccup... who knows). caused it.

3. Some random event(s) just happened to coincide with the iPad just "deciding" it was time to stop messing with me.

4. While I plugged my p-word in about ten times without success, I may have been stuck in my own neruonal "loop" and kept putting in an incorrect number.

anyhow, it is working--but for how long? Who knows.

Thanks, everyone

~~Rich

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Internet Problem

I had a friend who yesterday had same problem. He tried every setting etc. and nothing worked. I told him to try shutting the Ipad2 off (with off switch) and then try turning it back on. He did and every thing was fine. This may be a different situation, but give it a try. Its like chickent soup - it can't hurt.

tecwritr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not been able to download any apps for 3-4 days now. This is not a problem with my routers. I believe that something is wrong at the Apple end of the chain.

Most reactions

Latest posts