What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 could have iPhone-quality 8MP cameras

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
13.10.02-iPad_Camera.jpg

The iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 is probably not far away, as recent rumors seem to suggest Apple might unveil its next-generation tablets somewhere near the date of 15 October. We’ve recently reported that the new iPads might launch on the market with a new, space gray color. Now, we have fresh information regarding the camera sensors on Apple’s upcoming tablets.

KGI Securities’ analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, in a note to investor said that he believes Apple's iPad and iPad mini will both come equipped with 8 megapixel rear cameras that will probably have the lens elements built by Genius and Largan, the two companies being responsible for the opti​​c system used in Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c smartphones.

However, in an independently conducted research, AppleInsider publication believes that he sensor modules will actually be provided by Sony.

If this rumor turns out to be true, then Apple will increase the iPad’s resolution to 8MP from 5MP in the iPad 4 and first generation iPad mini. Apple might opt for a backside illuminated component with larger 1.5-micron pixels, similar to the iPhone 5s.

Taking pictures with the iPad isn’t the most ergonomical thing to do and even the iPad Mini’s smaller size can’t doesn’t help in that direction. However, Ming-Chi Kuo believes that Apple is going to seriously improve iPad’s camera ability just to further differentiate the iPad from the growing number of rival tablets.

What do you think about this? Do you rely on your iPad’s camera to take pictures and you find this a great feature or you'd better get your iPhone out of the pocket?

Source: AppleInsider

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ya know, I just don't see me using an iPad for serious photography. It's an awkward size and isn't a natural way to take a photo, IMO. With a smaller device like a phone or iPod touch then I can see it used more for pictures. 8MP is good quality though. Maybe the better quality will encourage more picture taking? We shall see.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya know, I just don't see me using an iPad for serious photography. It's an awkward size and isn't a natural way to take a photo, IMO. With a smaller device like a phone or iPod touch then I can see it used more for pictures. 8MP is good quality though. Maybe the better quality will encourage more picture taking? We shall see.

Totally agree s2mikey!. 8MP would be a good improvement but for outside photography I find it difficult to use, not just because it looks somewhat weird walking around with half the iPad case cover swinging in the breeze below, but often it is hopeless to see anything to photograph because of strong reflections on the screen. Now if they fixed the reflections bit......
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen people take pictures with an iPad- usually tourists( foreign). I would never think of walking around pulling my tablet out for pictures. My phone of iPot touch fits into my pocket- Two years ago I bought a really nice 16 megapix 24 x zoom camera- i leave it at home - with my phone, I can instantly upload to dropbox or Facebook or to a person.Guess it's time to sell on e-bay. I spoke to someone using a samsung note 2. He said he loves it- hardly uses his tablet(btw, he used to be in the tech repair business- he prefers Samsung) I just think even a 5" phablet it way too big to use as a camera and not fit in my pocket- i would , however, use a tablet camera for an indoor photo op. I needed to update hubbies facebook picture and it was easier to take the picture with his iPad and upload the picture onto his page- i need to install dropbox on his tablet so i can share pictures with him.

Most reactions

Latest posts