What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4th Gen will not start - please help

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We updated an iPad (4th Generation) last night and since then, it will no longer turn on.

The battery is charged because it was at 98% when we ran the update.

Here is what we've tried so far (with no luck):

• Hard Reset by holding the Power and Home buttons at the same time for 15 seconds
  • Holding the volume up button when the Apple logo appears during startup
  • Following the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" instructions on this page - If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on
Nothing has worked so far. We want to try and keep everything on the iPad (apps, photos, videos, etc) as they have not been backed up to a PC so we're trying to avoid doing a full factory restore.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what we can try? It is NOT jailbroken if that matters.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First; is your iPad recognized by iTunes when you connect it to your computer?
If it is recognized, you can do a simple restore through iTunes. this will back up your iPad before erasing it and restoring it to factory condition. It it works, you'll be given the opportunity to set it up as a new iPad or from the backup that was made. choose to set it up from the backup and you should have a working iPad with your data intact. it iTunes does not recognize your iPad, you'll have to resort to other methods, such as Recovery Mode and DFU Mode. Here are instructions for both methods.

You might have to use recovery mode to get your iPad working again. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
one thing though, this will erase your iPad and any data not backed up will be lost.

If this doesn't work, you can try a DFU restore. this will work unless there's a hardware fault. DFU mode to Restore | Official Apple Support Communities
This method will also erase your device completely.

Last edited:
OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. It is not recognized by itunes when connecting to a PC.

I'm hoping I can find a way to save the stuff on the iPad before resorting to a method that will erase everything, so I may take it to an Apple store to see if there's anything they can do before trying those methods.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. It is not recognized by itunes when connecting to a PC.

I'm hoping I can find a way to save the stuff on the iPad before resorting to a method that will erase everything, so I may take it to an Apple store to see if there's anything they can do before trying those methods.
A full diagnostic at the Genius Bar is certainly the best way to start. If there is a hardware issue, the repair will involve erasing the iPad. I hope it doesn’t come to that.

Most reactions

Latest posts