What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G VS. 4G at 1:00 of Video

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Hmm, now you have me thinking, as I am a Sprint customer and love their service. Verizon seems to get all of the praise for the fastest networks but time and time again my 3G service is leaps and bounds ahead of my friends and family members on AT&T and Verizon.

I tether my 3G HTC Hero to my Netbook all the time and enjoy a pretty smooth browsing experience, and the thought of AT&T and Apple throttling 3G playback really gives me pause. I am currently on the waiting list for a 3G iPad but just may have to give the Wi-Fi a whirl.

I digress. I don't want to have a contract and pay a monthly fee for a service I won't use all that much, so AT&T's month-to-month service for the iPad would be ideal. I guess I'll just wait and see if I can find away to get around the bandwidth throttling before I make a decision.

It's good to know that there are options out there.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cool demo. I think it'll be a while before we get 4g in Switzerland - but it can't get here soon enough!

Zorban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is like comparing 3G to Edge. Its not the same technology.
4G is faster by far and that is a fact and the reason it came to be ><

We have 4G here in Sweden and when we tried it at our office i central Stockholm we got a solid 12mb download. With the same company (Telia) 3G we had 3.2mb download.

4g should give around 20mb/s but we only got 12 in our test. They are in the process of upgrading the base stations right now to 100mb/s and that should give speeds around 80mb/s on 4G according to the ISP Telia. While the 3G that should give 7,2 only gives 3.2 its still OK for wireless imo.

Looking forward hoping to see 4g in Apples iProducts soon :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sprint's Fourth Generation network has nothing to do with the competitions Third Generation network. Even if it is faster its only available in extremely limited locations so its pretty useless. LTE will be out next year and this will be completely obsolete...which is how Sprint seems to like to keep it.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I have a Sprint 3G/4G Overdrive mobilehotspot and I only get marginally better connection speeds than my iPhone (ATT 3G). Yes, we do have full Sprint 4G here in Honolulu. I haven't had the time to call Sprint's customer service yet (I know how that's going to go) but am not 100% satisfied with the 4G here so far. We have a Clearwire 4G air card in the office and get great speeds on that device, unfortunately Clear doesn't have a good mobile hotspot solution right now. :(

Most reactions

Latest posts