What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO go for the unlimited at first. See how much you use and then at the end of the thirty days see if the 250mb package will do. In less than 24hrs I have already used 92mb from AT&T and i've been home using wi-fi 80% of the time. At this rate I will probably use 250mb in less than three days. The way the plan is set up, if you don't have unlimited, it will get really expensive. At the end of the 250mb you either have to buy another 250mb for $15 or spend $30 on unlimited. So now you are basically spending $45+ for unlimited. Lucky for me I took the advice of another poster on this forum and went for the unlimited right off. iPad support 3G support group comes through again!

I've used 58GB in 24 hours by sticking to wifi and only turning 3G on when I have to. Why is this so much higher than my 2G iPhone? Faster and so many more MB for the HD resolution and size? My guess. Not sure if I'll upgrade to unlimited or just let it die until next month. When I run out, I run out; suck it up.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used 3G for a few mins yesterday while waiting for a hair cut and ended up using 9mb. Seems like 250mb will not last very long. We will see how long i can stretch it out. It maybe that when i need to use 3gi will have to throw unlimited on it.

-Greg

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used 58GB in 24 hours by sticking to wifi and only turning 3G on when I have to. Why is this so much higher than my 2G iPhone? Faster and so many more MB for the HD resolution and size? My guess. Not sure if I'll upgrade to unlimited or just let it die until next month. When I run out, I run out; suck it up.

One reason could be that we are doing full web browsing vs. using mobile versions of sites.

iPadManiac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far 3G really slow, YouTube videos on 3G are unwatchable, netflix is really bad, no abc, seems AT&T has crippled this device
:mad:

I just watched an episode of South Park streaming via Netflix with no issues whatsoever.

I am very impressed with the 3G speed and coverage.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am having the same experience as everyone regard 3G usage amounts. I have already exceeded the 250mb allotment. Not sure how considering that I have been mostly on wifi. My only thoughts are that the counter is calculating wifi usage into the number.

On the good note I am getting 1200's kps on 3G in Atlanta. This beyond my dreams for speed. I am considering turning off wifi and just using 3G. My only reason for pause is battery concerns.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same experience as everyone regard 3G usage amounts. I have already exceeded the 250mb allotment. Not sure how considering that I have been mostly on wifi. My only thoughts are that the counter is calculating wifi usage into the number.

On the good note I am getting 1200's kps on 3G in Atlanta. This beyond my dreams for speed. I am considering turning off wifi and just using 3G. My only reason for pause is battery concerns.

I've been keeping mine in airplane mode when I am using wifi. Don't want to risk dropping wifi for a min and end up using 3G without my knowledge. I wish there was a way to turn off 3G without also turning of wifi - even if i can just turn it back on.

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've been keeping mine in airplane mode when I am using wifi. Don't want to risk dropping wifi for a min and end up using 3G without my knowledge. I wish there was a way to turn off 3G without also turning of wifi - even if i can just turn it back on.

You can. In the settings, I believe you go under the cellular data tab and there is a button to turn off the cellular part.

Orcapal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been keeping mine in airplane mode when I am using wifi. Don't want to risk dropping wifi for a min and end up using 3G without my knowledge.

^ That is what I've been doing since my iPad had dropped WiFi a couple of times when it shouldn't have.

nor84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a router, and my iPad found my wifi, then said it was unable to connect to it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something need to do?

Very happy with 3G, but will use wifi unless traveling. I'll just drop out of the plan, then back in again.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a router, and my iPad found my wifi, then said it was unable to connect to it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something need to do?

Very happy with 3G, but will use wifi unless traveling. I'll just drop out of the plan, then back in again.

Is your router set up for WEP or WAP security? I had an issue myself because I had set my router to filter on the MAC address. Once I turned that off it was fine.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad reports that I have used nearly 400mb of cellular data as of this morning. I have used wifi networks only 3 hours of my total connect time. I certainly am glad that I bought the unlimited plan.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad reports that I have used nearly 400mb of cellular data as of this morning. I have used wifi networks only 3 hours of my total connect time. I certainly am glad that I bought the unlimited plan.

Yea the unlimited is definitely the way to go the first month.

lreyn330

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yea the unlimited is definitely the way to go the first month.

Been kinda quiet here since we all got our ipads. Where is everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts