What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks, I hope your enjoying you 3G's. I sure am!

Today my kids were in a bike-a-thon and I was at the one mile marker giving out markers. While waiting for bikers, I played on my 3G.

I had 3G access at about 2.13MB, which is about twice what I have at home!

Had some problems with glare. With the sun beating down, it's hard to see the screen. I don't much that can be done about that though. Maybe a anti-glare protection kit might help.

The other problem I had was overheating. I used it continually from about 9:00 AM to 11:15 and then it started giving me the over heating warning message. I didn't have any shade, so I just turned it off, and tried turning it on every so often, but still received the overheating message. Finally, I took put some water on a wash rage. I wrung out the rage so that it was damp, and then put that on the back of the iPad. That seemed to cool it down enough so that I could use it.

I can see a market for some kind of external cooler rig :)

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Today my kids were in a bike-a-thon and I was at the one mile marker giving out markers. While waiting for bikers, I played on my 3G.

Had some problems with glare. With the sun beating down, it's hard to see the screen. I don't much that can be done about that though. Maybe a anti-glare protection kit might help.

The other problem I had was overheating. I used it continually from about 9:00 AM to 11:15 and then it started giving me the over heating warning message. I didn't have any shade, so I just turned it off, and tried turning it on every so often, but still received the overheating message. Finally, I took put some water on a wash rage. I wrung out the rage so that it was damp, and then put that on the back of the iPad. That seemed to cool it down enough so that I could use it.

That would worry me. I have never received a overheating message, even after hours of 3D Gaming.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The other problem I had was overheating. I used it continually from about 9:00 AM to 11:15 and then it started giving me the over heating warning message. I didn't have any shade, so I just turned it off, and tried turning it on every so often, but still received the overheating message. Finally, I took put some water on a wash rage. I wrung out the rage so that it was damp,
and then put that on the back of the iPad. That seemed to cool it down enough so that I could use it.

I don't want anything damp near my iPad!

edge7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, what about these finger prints and smears all over this beautiful screen? Know, I know, but I do work in a hospital and we are very concerned with the spread of bacteria, and I can almost see them squirming around on the screen. Is it just glass and should we treat it like it is just glass and clean it like we would clean glass?

From the official iPad User Guide
"To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn of iPad (press and hold the Sleep/ Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Then use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe the iPad screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive
material will further diminish its efect and may scratch your screen."

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That would worry me. I have never received a overheating message, even after hours of 3D Gaming.

I was outside, in direct sunlight. Temperature was about 75 - 78 degrees. I few people have reported similar issues.

As far as the damp cloth, it was just on the back and about as damp as what it would be if I was just wiping it off.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I was outside, in direct sunlight. Temperature was about 75 - 78 degrees. I few people have reported similar issues.

As far as the damp cloth, it was just on the back and about as damp as what it would be if I was just wiping it off.
It should operate normal under those temps. You will never be able to use it if temps reach above 100, where you live.

hendjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out the overheating thread in these forums. Unfotunately is looking like a fairly common problem when using outdoors in direct sunlight. Doesn't have to be a hot day as our wifi 16 gb unit shut down on a 64 degree day while being used for reading in the sun. Reported to Apple so there is a case number on our unit. Will check out the new 3G unit when sun returns.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it seems to be a direct sunlight issue more than ambient temperature. Maybe the screen is acting like a lens and magnifying the heat?

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say the overheating problem is a flaw that they won't be able to resolve. The case is very thing, so there is much room for a heat sink to draw away the heat. About the only thing you could do is make the whole device thicker so that you could put a heat sink in there.

I think the resolution for this first wave of iPads will be some kind of cooler that you will put on the back of your iPad when your going outside in direct sunlight.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of what I have read about overheating seems to deal with direct sunlight. A netbook cooler would be a help, but I suspect the best solution will be to get a view shield that both shades and improves glare prevention.

Dignan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far 3G really slow, YouTube videos on 3G are unwatchable, netflix is really bad, no abc, seems AT&T has crippled this device
:mad:

The 3G speeds have been surprisingly good. Although it is probably influenced heavily by the lower amount of traffic here in VT.

Dignan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a wi-fi only version on 4/3, which I have since given to my girlfriend. One thing worth noting: the wi-fi reception seems better on the 3G model in the same locations. Wonder if it has anything to do with the additional plastic area on the back of the 3G model? Still, I haven't had any issues with wi-fi reception with either model.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm delightfully pleased with the wifi connectivity. My download speed matches that of my MacBookPro.

I live in a very rural area - wireless service towers usually cover an area 10 miles each side of the freeway. My 3G has been about 130K down and 40K up. It is what I expected - and it's better than not being connected -- but it will take some time to get used to.

I am extremely impressed with the iPad - I love it. 2 Obersavations from my perspective that, I think, surprised me:

1. It's heavier than I thought it would be
2. Tons of fingerprints. I find myself wiping them off with a microfiber cloth.

Oh and by the way. - the CIMO gel case is almost impossible to get on. I almost
Thought that I was going to break the iPad. And then the bottom slot hole was too small and I couldn't get the sync/charge connector to connect.

I'm not slamming CIMO cause I liked the design but rather this may be an issue with the 3G being a tad larger - maybe not!

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far 3G really slow, YouTube videos on 3G are unwatchable, netflix is really bad, no abc, seems AT&T has crippled this device
:mad:

I have no problems with 3G. Netflix is as good as WiFi.

You do blow through the data fairly fast. 250 MB would never last but a few days if you stream any video at all.

Dignan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO go for the unlimited at first. See how much you use and then at the end of the thirty days see if the 250mb package will do. In less than 24hrs I have already used 92mb from AT&T and i've been home using wi-fi 80% of the time. At this rate I will probably use 250mb in less than three days. The way the plan is set up, if you don't have unlimited, it will get really expensive. At the end of the 250mb you either have to buy another 250mb for $15 or spend $30 on unlimited. So now you are basically spending $45+ for unlimited. Lucky for me I took the advice of another poster on this forum and went for the unlimited right off. iPad support 3G support group comes through again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts