What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdtopdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would you do?

Here's the scenario:
I ordered 2, 3g's arriving here hopefully Friday mid-day. I'm surprising my wife with one for no special occasion other than why not.
I have a great dinner planned at home, even champagne and candle light.
It will be a fun surprise!
My problem is, should I open mine when it arrives (she'll be at work all day) and set it up and play with it, or should I keep it packaged (with LOTS of will power) and wait until I surprise her, and we both will enjoy the same experience of excitement at the same time?
I do have will power, but damn, I've been pre-ordered for 6 weeks and have been going crazy waiting like all of us....
What to do...:)

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the scenario:
I ordered 2, 3g's arriving here hopefully Friday mid-day. I'm surprising my wife with one for no special occasion other than why not.
My problem is, should I open mine when it arrives (she'll be at work all day) and set it up and play with it, or should I keep it packaged (with LOTS of will power) and wait until I surprise her, and we both will enjoy the same experience of excitement at the same time?
I do have will power, but damn, I've been pre-ordered for 6 weeks and have been going crazy waiting like all of us....
Really? What to do? Are you newlyweds?

OPEN IT!!!!

TelSteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally get home from work and check my emails and got the great news. It took me a long time to catch up on this forum before I posted. I live just south of LA and my Fed-Ex info tells me it's coming from Rancho Cordova (near Sacramento) as well. It also stated that it would be delivered by 3:00 pm April 30th. Also helium filled at 1 pound. I think I will fill out the Fed-Ex paperwork and say "if nobody home drop off anyway". If I missed this because I didn't hear the doorbell...:(

Congrats to all of you who are in the same boat.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Commodore 64 was my first computer too! Used to live buying the computer magazines with the programs in them, entering all the data, getting them to run!! Had dozens of cassette tapes filled with programs.

But through all the years and dozens of computers, I don't recall ever feeling this excited about getting a new one! My kids think their mom is nuts, and are as eager as I am for me to get it just so I'll stop talking about it!

My first computer was an Apple II and man was I happy when I could replace my cassette player with a 5 1/2" floppy drive! I really wanted an Atari game system but my parents would not let me have one and showed me that Apple 2 had the best space invaders. I saved up and they chipped in and I got one sophomore year of high school. Before you knew it I was coding in BASIC and Pascal. My parents were pretty smart... :). I remember taking it to college and buying a $400 300baud modem to connect to the school mainframe with. Anyway, I've been a computer software developer/engineer ever since but this is only my second Apple purchase. I have to say that I too am more excited/crazy about this system than any since the Apple II. My wife, like your kids, is way tired of my obsession. Tomorrow will be a special day :D

-Greg

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Commodore 64 was my first computer too! Used to live buying the computer magazines with the programs in them, entering all the data, getting them to run!! Had dozens of cassette tapes filled with programs.

But through all the years and dozens of computers, I don't recall ever feeling this excited about getting a new one! My kids think their mom is nuts, and are as eager as I am for me to get it just so I'll stop talking about it!

My first computer was an Apple II and man was I happy when I could replace my cassette player with a 5 1/2" floppy drive! I really wanted an Atari game system but my parents would not let me have one and showed me that Apple 2 had the best space invaders. I saved up and they chipped in and I got one sophomore year of high school. Before you knew it I was coding in BASIC and Pascal. My parents were pretty smart... :). I remember taking it to college and buying a $400 300baud modem to connect to the school mainframe with. Anyway, I've been a computer software developer/engineer ever since but this is only my second Apple purchase. I have to say that I too am more excited/crazy about this system than any since the Apple II. My wife, like your kids, is way tired of my obsession. Tomorrow will be a special day :D

-Greg
Did you take note that Sony has just decided to stop making the 3.5" floppy? Wow, how old are we? Our children and especially our grand children will never know a world without personal computers. Really powerful, really small, iPhone sized or iPad like computers. WOW.

JMK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not buy my own for home until sometime in the eighties. We just had them at work. When did you buy yours?
My first PC was a 286x in 1986 (?) that my future (current) husband and I purchased for $2000 with the proceeds of a computer program that he sold to my then current employer for making gobal JCL changes, which was really necessary since my current consulting assignment at that time was to convert a JCL shop from JES2 to JES3. Any other questions?

I don't have any questions. You are the one who questioned me and doubted. I guess I mis-counted when I said almost 30 years. It was more like 32 years. I guess some people don't believe that dinasours existed! :D

I am one of the last "dinosaurs" I think.

Still running the mainframe. zOS. :D

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the scenario:
Really? What to do? Are you newlyweds?

OPEN IT!!!!

I would open it, play with it, then surprise her. I would not be able to contain myself.

cass77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Wyoming, my 64GB 3G had shipped from Rancho Cardova at 3:30 local scan, no more updates sense. Thank you to all other enthusiasts, my kids and husband are ready to make me sleep outside if I mention my new iPad coming one more time. Having this forum to come to has been a welcome release for my preshipping concerns. Will post again from my new fabulous gadget when it is delivered tomorrow.;);)

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score

-Greg

I think that the only reason my husband is putting up with my obsession is because he is inheriting my WiFi. But I think that he sort or raised an eyebrow when I told him that I had to stay home all day and sit in the front porch until the FedEx person comes. I never sit on the front porch.

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always been a techno geek, I admit. Or at least I "thought" I was a techno geek. I was one of the first civilians to own a PC, one of the first adopters of the original cell phones that looked and weighed more like a brick then a candy bar. But I always resisted Apple. My father on the other hand was constantly trying to "convert me". And my reply was always, "a serious programmer" would NEVER own a mac. As of 2 weeks ago, my personal desktop is a mac mini sharing a monitor with my work PC, and I have owned an iPhone 3G since it was released and upgraded to an iPhone 3GS as soon as it was available. Now I can't remember the reasons I resisted all those years and I am anxiously (read, barely able to sleep at night or concentrate at work during the day) awaiting my ipad WIFI + 3G. Does this mean I've been assimilated?

Last edited:

ladydi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the scenario:

Who ARE you and are there more like you?! Lol!

I say you open them both and install a romantic song on hers that is playing when you give it to her. Get the wifi and 3G all set up and get logged into the iTunes store so she can start buying right away. This way you can play all day long and still score major points for being incredibly romantic - a win/win!

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes! :D

tigerbait1953

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first PC was a 286x in 1986 (?) that my future (current) husband and I purchased for $2000 with the proceeds of a computer program that he sold to my then current employer for making gobal JCL changes, which was really necessary since my current consulting assignment at that time was to convert a JCL shop from JES2 to JES3. Any other questions?

I don't have any questions. You are the one who questioned me and doubted. I guess I mis-counted when I said almost 30 years. It was more like 32 years. I guess some people don't believe that dinasours existed! :D

I am one of the last "dinosaurs" I think.

Still running the mainframe. zOS. :D

Not quite the last dinosaur. I retired from IBM last year after 30 years of selling those mainframes. I programmed my first one back in college in 1970 with punch cards on a keypunch machine. It was a System 360 model 65 with a whopping 1 MB of real "core (donut) memory". My first personal computer was a 64K IBM PC with two 5 1/4 inch diskette drives and a green screen monitor in 1981. IBM employee purchase for $5000. (1981 dollars)!!!!! Waiting on my 3G 64GB ipad (my second one 32GB WiFi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts