What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, really? A pc user for almost 30 years? You must be a programer then! Hi, fellow programmer. I've been a programmer for almost 26 years and as you know, pc's only JUST started gaining popularity about 24 years ago. So you know EBCIDIC or maybe Fortran? How did your career progress? Seemes like you must have had a similar progression to my career. I'm interested to hear the details!

As a matter fact I did take COBAL in 1979, I did not take Fortran. I was also trained as a computer operator when the IBM 360 was coming into play. I helped to set up whole computer rooms before the personal computers were just starting. Anything else?? :p
Yeah, when did you buy your first REAL predecessor to the PC? If you're for real, hats off, fellow programmer. You're in the know, and my hats off to you.

mediapad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, really? A pc user for almost 30 years? You must be a programer then! Hi, fellow programmer. I've been a programmer for almost 26 years and as you know, pc's only JUST started gaining popularity about 24 years ago. So you know EBCIDIC or maybe Fortran? How did your career progress? Seemes like you must have had a similar progression to my career. I'm interested to hear the details!

I had my commodore 64 in 82 i think (showing my age), even splurged for the tape deck back-up! Was all fine until my dad dropped the tape in his deck and BEEEEEP, BOOOOOP, BEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEP BOOOOOP....
Yes, definlitely showing age there. I won't dwell on it. I'm showing a little age myself. PC's though... We really need to start thinking about windows for work groups right? I mean, that was the first real predecesor or what the general populous thinks when the think about the first "PC".

My first was a Commodore 64 as well! Remember the large floppy? We've come a long way baby!!!!!!!!!!! All I can tell myself now is go to sleep and wake up and it's the BIG DAY!! Can't wait to make my first post to this thread as an official owner of the 64g 3G ipad!

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As a matter fact I did take COBAL in 1979, I did not take Fortran. I was also trained as a computer operator when the IBM 360 was coming into play. I helped to set up whole computer rooms before the personal computers were just starting. Anything else?? :p

I forgot the rest of your question. No, I did not become a programmer. As you probably know, women were not too welcomed in the computer operations field. I did not want to become a programmer. I eventually changed my field into Social Work.
Yeah, 25 years ago things were a lot different. Should have stood your ground. Being a 20 (not something) year old relatively (in my opinion and that of my husbands ;-) ) good looking woman, I manged to make it. I could undertand those who couldn't take the pressure. 25 years later, it's still a more of a man's world, but the women are are definitely respected if not feared!

Sorry for the tangent, for all of the rest of you not so interested in the programming side of things, or not so intersted in my life. :)

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine left Newark NJ at 9:00 PM. Which is perfect irony. I used to live in Montclair NJ. I now live in ME. Yeah, I'm a little obsessive... So what of it?

Last edited:

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yeah, when did you buy your first REAL predecessor to the PC? If you're for real, hats off, fellow programmer. You're in the know, and my hats off to you.

I did not buy my own for home until sometime in the eighties. We just had them at work. When did you buy yours?

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine arrived at Newark NJ at 9:19 PM. That's the last information. Supposed to arrive by 3:00 PM

The first computer that I used was an Apple II that my parents bought somewhere in the late 70's. This will be the first Apple product that I have actually purchased, but I have been using Apple products for years, either in school, or at work

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I did not buy my own for home until sometime in the eighties. We just had them at work. When did you buy yours?
My first PC was a 286x in 1986 (?) that my future (current) husband and I purchased for $2000 with the proceeds of a computer program that he sold to my then current employer for making gobal JCL changes, which was really necessary since my current consulting assignment at that time was to convert a JCL shop from JES2 to JES3. Any other questions?

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My first PC was a 286x in 1986 (?) that my future (current) husband and I purchased for $2000 with the proceeds of a computer program that he sold to my then current employer for making gobal JCL changes, which was really necessary since my current consulting assignment at that time was to convert a JCL shop from JES2 to JES3. Any other questions?

I don't have any questions. You are the one who questioned me and doubted. I guess I mis-counted when I said almost 30 years. It was more like 32 years. I guess some people don't believe that dinasours existed! :D

mustangSally

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't have any questions. You are the one who questioned me and doubted. I guess I mis-counted when I said almost 30 years. It was more like 32 years. I guess some people don't believe that dinasours existed! :D
Oh, AMEN SISTER! I know they're out there, just like me. I just like to make sure they are not mirages! Forgive me my doubts. You appear to be the real deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts