What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't expect me to believe that Apple has arranged for Fedex to handle priority shipping for as many iPad units that need to be delivered, all in one day, that's BS. That would put a hell of a strain on Fedex.

They did the same thing with ups for the wifi launch and that was a Saturday delivery. Hopefully fedex will do a better job.

Do you realize how many posts have gone into this thread? It is mind boggling.

Today 03:13 PM
by Edlex
674 posts 26,974 views

Gmunford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well...light at the end of the tunnel. Can't say the wait has been fun exactly, but I enjoyed all your company. And it was fun joining in the anticipation of what we all must believe is a real game-changer. I remember when I saw my first Apple in a display window Michigan Ave in Chicago; when I got my 1st computer (a Kaypro); when I took the (ealry ) plunge to move to Windows. And now this. Yeah, we're geeks I guess. But how cool is it to be passive? Thanks for all the conversation - it did make waiting fun. Almost.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well...light at the end of the tunnel. Can't say the wait has been fun exactly, but I enjoyed all your company. And it was fun joining in the anticipation of what we all must believe is a real game-changer. I remember when I saw my first Apple in a display window Michigan Ave in Chicago; when I got my 1st computer (a Kaypro); when I took the (ealry ) plunge to move to Windows. And now this. Yeah, we're geeks I guess. But how cool is it to be passive? Thanks for all the conversation - it did make waiting fun. Almost.

When I started this thread I was thinking more about survival than fun :D. Still 10 days to get through while those wifi @#$@#$ are enjoying theirs but we will make it! Thanks to everyone for all the support!

-Greg

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, about the April 30th arrival date...

is it just me or this a bitter-sweet announcement? its awesome and all that we know when we are getting the Ipad, but at the same time, the 30th...really?it seems like a cop-out

I am quite a bit annoyed with apple in their lack of communication to the dedicated pre-order crowd and that they pushed it so close to the april deadline.

I ordered on march 12th. so I expect apple to be able to make enough ipads to first complete the pre-order list, and then worry about making excess. I mean, whats the point of the pre-order if it doesn't guarantee some sort of priority?

its obvious they are using the limited resources to make as many wi-fi versions as possible as well as extend the wi-fi only sales as long as possible. that way they can milk sales as much as they can before the wi-fi demand succumbs to the inevitable 3G superiority. (which of course they know will happen)

in reality, whats 10 more days? it is just bothering me that I saved ever since I heard rumors of this tablet (poor grad-student here) and then apple is having their cake and eating it too. whereas they push the 3G deadline to the last possible moment, and thereby maximizing their wifi-only window at the expesne of the 3G pre-order. I know its a great profit model, but it just doesnt feel right...( I am having trouble putting my thoughts into words)

do any of you follow me? agree/dissagree?

ipad3g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.westmobilerebels.com

When I started this thread I was thinking more about survival than fun :D. Still 10 days to get through while those wifi @#$@#$ are enjoying theirs but we will make it! Thanks to everyone for all the support!

-Greg

Sometimes I think, "Man I could have been enjoying an iPad WiFi," but I know I will be happy I waited. Knowing I can go practically anywhere and use all its features is very comforting with the 3g model.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score

is it just me or this a bitter-sweet announcement? its awesome and all that we know when we are getting the Ipad, but at the same time, the 30th...really?it seems like a cop-out

I am quite a bit annoyed with apple in their lack of communication to the dedicated pre-order crowd and that they pushed it so close to the april deadline.

I ordered on march 12th. so I expect apple to be able to make enough ipads to first complete the pre-order list, and then worry about making excess. I mean, whats the point of the pre-order if it doesn't guarantee some sort of priority?

its obvious they are using the limited resources to make as many wi-fi versions as possible as well as extend the wi-fi only sales as long as possible. that way they can milk sales as much as they can before the wi-fi demand succumbs to the inevitable 3G superiority. (which of course they know will happen)

in reality, whats 10 more days? it is just bothering me that I saved ever since I heard rumors of this tablet (poor grad-student here) and then apple is having their cake and eating it too. whereas they push the 3G deadline to the last possible moment, and thereby maximizing their wifi-only window at the expesne of the 3G pre-order. I know its a great profit model, but it just doesnt feel right...( I am having trouble putting my thoughts into words)

I hear you and agree to some degree. The only point in their favor is that original announcement had 3G following the WiFi 30 days later. I don't like that they did it that way but they did not mislead us. I agree that "Late April" and "The last day in April" are not exactly the same thing and wish they had just said "April 30th" in the first place. If they were early then they would have been heroes and I don't see anyone who pre-ordered not doing it because of the lack of hope for earlier in the month. I think they really did not know when they would be ready and agree that they started the 3G making machine at the last minute in order to maximize WiFi sales. I don't think that WiFi sales will go away when 3G comes out though - the $130 is going to scare plenty of people away.

I do think that 3G should have been standard and people could have just chosen not to use it. I really doubt that the cost difference to manufacture is anywhere near $130 and the cost of manufacturing two different models outweighs it and is the real reason for excessive cost of 3G. I guess they wanted to get to the $499 price point and would have had to be more like $530 or so if they included 3G.

-Greg

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not mad about the 4/30 date, I'm dissapointed that it wasn't communicated sooner. Perhaps a week after the wifi launch would have been appropriate.

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tucker... I'm with you. However, I would take the sweet part and just leave the bitter.

I can't believe we were pushed to the last possible minute in order to comply with the "late April" statement. It is not right. We are paying a hell of a premium to have a 3G enabled iPad, they should treat us better.

They should ship the MoFfing iPad 3G today. They have it ready. They are in the US. What's the problem?

I'm just pissed. Really pissed.

scarlettohara1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mr sickpup....unfortunately in govt work most of the time it is not a 9-5 job. I already tried to post the shipping info from my iPhone and couldn't. I will post the shipping info as soon as I am able. Just promise me that once I do you will stop being disrespectful and/or a smart a$$....or is that just your nature?
Well now, we have not seen any copies of your much discussed Apple notice posted here.

Shame on you Miss Scarlett. Just reflects the current state of our government I guess

sickpup and pixman...I do not care if you believe me or not. I posted my info to share not to be berated. I also do not care if you believe I work govt. I have nothing to prove to you or any other negative person on here. Have you ever thought that some people work nightshifts? If you saw my log on...well
that would make sense..... I rarely log out of this forum when in iPhone. After
seeing your posts and some of the others that followed I now believe that
even if I posted the info you would have made another accusation saying I lied
or it's fake or whatever words you choose to use.....which would lead right
back to where you are now.. If my post mislead you I apologize; my intentions was for information sharing. Believe it or not. If I get my ipad as stated on the 24th great. If it comes after great. I have many
other things more important than the arrival of the ipad.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tucker said:

As a Apple reseller for 25 years and knowing how Apple operates and understanding that all ipads are manufactured off shore I dissagree with above. Delivery is an estimate late April is correct they have achieved that dead line ok. The despatching from china through to you is computerized so you are notified at the correct time in the schedule. Once your item is picked for delivery then you notified by the automatic system and that is no different to any major company This is not a mom and pop store. If you order a Dell computer on line it is Approx 10 to 14 days to delivery and thats a standard order (aussie) No different to Apple.
Sometimes a shortage of a component can delay shipments or delays can occur in customs or flights any of this can delay the delivery The prime example of a delay is the Airport shut down in Europe so you are lucky it does not affect USA.
In other words It is only estimate to cover variables.

So relax and enjoy your ipad when it comes in on the 30th In the mean time throw another shrimp on the barbie! (BBQ) and down a Fosters to celebrate the arrival of your new toy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand why some people are frustrated, but it could have been worse, right? Apple had always promised to SHIP in late April. Not commit to an April delivery. Yet we are getting our ipads in April. Later than we would all like, but sooner then it could have been, with Apple keeping its promise.

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm...that is a good point Greg, I forgot about that 30 day disclaimer they mentioned...but, communication/explanations go a long way.

as for the 3G...I feel it will be like the Iphone vs. Ipod touch market share. but much wider speration since the price difference is relatively small difference (20% diff vs. 60% diff). I think once people realize that the 130 dollar extra fee actually buys them much more flexibility (and true GPS), they will be able to rationalize the extra.

It is hard to say though, the low price-tag of this suedo-computer has opened apple to a whole new market, and thus will be very unpredictable. Possibly behaving in a cost minimizing fashinon as most PC user's are accustomed to, rather than the rational practicality of what being (slightly) less frugal gains in productivity and ease-of-use (voiding my previous argument). it all comes down to the same name brand vs generic argument. sometimes it doesn't matter, but some times that extra cost is more than worth it.

I am curious to see how this market behaves...

but I digress...regardless of how apple's marketing gimmicks play out and how much they piss me off, May will be a wonderfully unproductive month!!

ipad3g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.westmobilerebels.com
Hmm...that is a good point Greg, I forgot about that 30 day disclaimer they mentioned...but, communication/explanations go a long way.

as for the 3G...I feel it will be like the Iphone vs. Ipod touch market share. but much wider speration since the price difference is relatively small difference (20% diff vs. 60% diff). I think once people realize that the 130 dollar extra fee actually buys them much more flexibility (and true GPS), they will be able to rationalize the extra.

It is hard to say though, the low price-tag of this suedo-computer has opened apple to a whole new market, and thus will be very unpredictable. Possibly behaving in a cost minimizing fashinon as most PC user's are accustomed to, rather than the rational practicality of what being (slightly) less frugal gains in productivity and ease-of-use (voiding my previous argument). it all comes down to the same name brand vs generic argument. sometimes it doesn't matter, but some times that extra cost is more than worth it.

I am curious to see how this market behaves...

but I digress...regardless of how apple's marketing gimmicks play out and how much they piss me off, May will be a wonderfully unproductive month!!

Well put, I'll be right there with a bunch of other unproductive people in May, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts