What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G as a in car GPS device

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I'd like to bring this thread up to the top again. I'm tryng t estimate how much data I need to buy to use GPS. I've had the Ipad one 64GB wifi for almost 2 years and used Google map, did printscreens and referred to those while traveling OR we used my husband's mobile hot spot. We have an older Tom Tom but rarely use it but I believe we would like the big Ipad screen better

One of the recommendations I've noted elsewhere is for the Motion x app but don't see that mentioned here except at the bottom of one post. Any comments?

BUT. I'm especially interested in how much data one needs to use these for maybe a week a month just to give me an idea. I have Verizon 64 GB Ipad 3 now.

You don't even need a sim for your GPS to work in iPads 3G/4G. GPS is built into the iPad so data is not needed. I use mine all the time for taking long drives in the country, the size of the screen is brilliant. Have a look at Navfree apps.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't even need a sim for your GPS to work in iPads 3G/4G. GPS is built into the iPad so data is not needed. I use mine all the time for taking long drives in the country, the size of the screen is brilliant. Have a look at Navfree apps.

Thanks. I just bought the Motion x for $2.99 which is better than my Tom Tom device IMO. Really easy to use, wonderful on Ipad 3 but I'll check out the Navfree apps too. Discovered I could cache maps and voice for prerouted and I've found sites giving me an idea of how much data to expect for various amounts from our US carriers.

Edit: Just installed Navfree and downloaded my state map (which is large NC) to try. It seems to do a good job also. With voice for poster above.

Last edited:

BikeEffects

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. I have an IpAd 3 coming tomorroe and since I have had wifi ipad 1 for two years we either used our older Tom Tom or I would plan a route on Google maps, do printscreens and have them available in Photos. In a pinch we used mobile hot spot on phone but my new Ipad is Verizon 3G/4G so will be better. I've been looking at GPS apps for over a year so your comments are helpful.

I saw an Ipad holder that is supported in cupholder which looked good for some cars--unfortunately not mine but will work in husband's. I use an aux. cable and charger now (for Touch but its optimized for Ipad but ai wonder with retina display if it will be able keep up charge) so am set.

I don't see an answer to this question yet. I am getting my first iPad in a few days and want to use GPS and don't know if I should buy a 32 or 64 Gig unit. I need some help deciding.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
41LqT6EJoCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Arkon Tablet Seat Bolt Mount (TAB-FSM): Electronics

GPS Receiver for Wifi only iPads: Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: Electronics

IMG_0461.jpg

I use Navigon which lets me download maps on a state-by-state basis.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see an answer to this question yet. I am getting my first iPad in a few days and want to use GPS and don't know if I should buy a 32 or 64 Gig unit. I need some help deciding.

I use Navigon because it lets me store maps on my iPad (that way, I'm not into a plan data usage for downloading maps on the go). You can download maps on a state-by-state basis, with the entire US being around 2GB. Obviously, having more storage helps. Of course, you can trim it down greatly from 2GB. There are other map apps that let you download maps too, but I just happen to use Navigon (now owned by Garmin).

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The largest GPS program that I have is only 1.3 Gb in size., so it really doesn't matter which one you get . Many GPS programs use maps downloaded from cellular data. It takes your location and feeds maps that support your location. The problem is when you are not able to access cell towers, you are limited to the data you get. It means that your maps are usually more up-to-date, but you pay for it with your cell data. I have not found it hard on my data plan, but with 4G that could change. My large plan is regional in coverage, but even so, that is not a lot of data demand.

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
If it were me I would install the iPad for the multifunction and coolness factor, not solely for the GPS
I have
A Garmin Nuvi for that and
As far as the $1000 plus, well you are shopping at the wrong places
I can get a Jensen with built in GPS for under $350
And I have the Jensen model just under the GPS it works great it is a 6.2 in touch screen
Plays nearly everything and has front and rear USB as well as a backup camera input
So if you are gonna put your iPAd in the car, do it for another reason other than GPS
It is
The least of the attributes
It would be batter for Bluetooth playback, watching movies when parked
Using if for Pandora radio
And browsing the Internet while parked
And all this Bluetooth to your BT radio
But I personally wouldn't install it for GPS, either way please post pics and possibly video se we can see...

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Pedro2nr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys. I wanted to get on this information. I have had my iPad mounted in my far since the iPad 1. For those new and interested, you will need a 3G/4G iPad to make this work. You do not require a data plan as the 3G/4G models have the GPS chip. If your navigation app requires data to download apps, this is something you must be aware of before purchasing a navigation app. I use the TomTom app which works great, especially since they updated it for iPad as well.

Here are some older pics for my iPad 2 in my car running TomTom before they released the iPad version. It has been updated with the 3rd generation.

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

For mounting, I drive a Scion xB and I found a simple DIY way to mount it following this method. I read it also works on other cars depending how the radio is setup on your vehicle.

I used a different case which is easier to put on and remove.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bike Effects, I don't think it will make too much differnence in size. I have the 64 but I don't think the 32 would be Limiting, esp. for GPS since I've been using it.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Contra, how does streaming Pandora impact your data plan? I've been using Touch with Rhapsody downloads in car but now have 3G Ipad and would like to do Pandora streaming. We also have Iphone with unlimited data plan so that might be the better device to use, but if Im by myself I only have my Ipad 3G and non data phone.

If it were me I would install the iPad for the multifunction and coolness factor, not solely for the GPS
I have
A Garmin Nuvi for that and
As far as the $1000 plus, well you are shopping at the wrong places
I can get a Jensen with built in GPS for under $350
And I have the Jensen model just under the GPS it works great it is a 6.2 in touch screen
Plays nearly everything and has front and rear USB as well as a backup camera input
So if you are gonna put your iPAd in the car, do it for another reason other than GPS
It is
The least of the attributes
It would be batter for Bluetooth playback, watching movies when parked
Using if for Pandora radio
And browsing the Internet while parked
And all this Bluetooth to your BT radio
But I personally wouldn't install it for GPS, either way please post pics and possibly video se we can see...

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Navigon MobileNavigator is hands-down the best navigation app, period. NAVTEQ maps. Far superior to the garbage that Magellan and TomTom use, which by-the-way, use the same map database. Pure junk.

Pedro2nr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Navigon MobileNavigator is hands-down the best navigation app, period. NAVTEQ maps. Far superior to the garbage that Magellan and TomTom use, which by-the-way, use the same map database. Pure junk.

Navigon is a good software but needs a UI improvement badly. Some settings and options are tedious to achieve while planned in a route.
NAVTEQ is an excellent map service but I wouldn't call TeleAtlas junk. It is far from it. The advantage TomTom has on owning TeleAtlas maps is MapShare and constinant map updates.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a comparitive review of the iOS nagivation apps? I admit to feeling that I am locked in on Navigon, though, because it is hard to see spending more money for a different Nav app and I do prefer to use an app that contains stored maps, so I don't have to depend on a cellular connection (obviously no problem on my phone). But I would like to know what UI elements Navigon is missing because I don't find it to be missing much (but this could be due to simple ignorance, which I'd like to correct).

Most reactions

Latest posts