What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 won't complete syncing

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using latest version of itunes on windows 7. I have tried wiping it and restoring but it starts to sync the apps and the highest it will go is 5 of 90. I wiped it because before this I was unable to sync photos or music. I am using a restore from my Ipad 2.

No error messages, it simply stops and cancels the sync. In addition to clearing the data I have also reset both the computer and the new Ipad. I have unchecked the sync music and photo synced then tried to add them back but no love.

One other bit of info, the computer and itunes froze on my first attemp to sync. Is there a cache I need to clear?

Oh, and both the two and the first gen still sync with no problems but then they already had everything loaded.

OP
B

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nevermind. I got the apps to sync after telling it not to sync them and syncing it. I got the music to sync after telling it to sync all music then telling it to sync only the checked items. I got the phots to sync (~3500) by telling it to sync only 2500 of them and finishing it with a second batch.

I am guessing there are some bugs in the latest IOS because it balked repeatedly at syncing ~19 gig worth of apps, music, and photos and I have never had trouble before. My Ipad 2 came back from the repair shop 6 weeks ago and it did everything fine.

Reaction score
I just purchase my new iPad; 64GB 4G LTE version. My OS is Window XP and my iTune version is 10.6.1.7 (the latest one as of Apr 1, 2012).

I was not able to complete the sync with my photos collection (around 10,000). The iTunes would just hangs after a few hundred photos.

I have gone online to try to find a cure. The best help I am able to get so far is from apple support; "Unable to sync photos" support.apple.com/kb/TS3697

I have removed the "iPod Photo Cache" from my computer and try to sync again. This time with limited success. I was able to sync up to 4,000 photos before iTunes freezes. Also it took a very long time to copy the 4,000 photos.

I have also tried to sync half my albums and add the rest of them one by one. However, this failed to work neither.

I believe this is a bug of the new iPad (I am able to sync photos with my iPad 1 with the latest iOS update).

Appreciate input from anyone with similar problem.

Thanks,

Pro1903

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very similar problem on new iPad 64GB windows 7 latest iTunes I have been trying to sync 30,000 photos since I got the iPad 10 days ago. I have been on the phone with Apple support 'senior technicians/advisors' for around 7 hours to date with no useful result.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes twice - there are 5 or 6 elements that all need to be removed not just iTunes that seemed to help but didn't solve the problem. I restored the IPad via the IPad and via ITunes which removed the other memory category that kept increasing with every sync but didnt make future syncs any better.

I found removing the photo cache made things worse as it ended up deleting lots of photos it previously synced on the next sync

My best success has come from syncing small numbers of items ( around 2,000) consecutively ( I have 50 sub folders within a main photos folder which makes that possible) and deleting any items in the photo cache that have zero bytes as these are failed items that don't seem to correct themselves.

I currently have 21,000 photos taking up 40gb and 8gb of other and have given up for the moment but will get back to apple if only for them to confirm there is a bug.

Annoyingly at one stage I had 16,000 photos on taking only 20 gb 0 other and great quality. No one at the support team I have spoken to has any idea what photo optimisation does or what sort of compression it should achieve. My average photo size of jpg on the computer is 2.7mb on the iPad 2.3mb a 15% reduction which seems low.

This is my only iPad but in previous versions of iTunes and on older computers xp and vista I got 44,000 photos on an iPod touch 3rd gen and 20,000 on 4th gen trouble free.

I'd love to know whether anyone has had better success with the new iPad or achieved better optimisation figures.

Most reactions

Latest posts