What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 - Won't boot

Compulady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went away for 3 days and came home to find the battery had drained. I charged it overnight and it wouldn't boot past the apple and restore screen. I tried to update and restore to no avail. I got the "could not restore (error 9)" message. I tried different cables but nothing worked.

I went to Apple and the same thing happened when the "Genius" tried to restore. He basically said - so sorry but it can't be fixed.

I notice that now, I first see the red battery of death (the battery with the 3 skinny lines) before seeing the Apple symbol and the restore screen with the iTunes plug. Now I'm wondering if the real problem is that the battery won't charge. If that's the case, a new battery is $99.00. If it isn't the battery, then I could get a new iPad 3 for $300.00 which I won't do.

I feel that Apple should have tried to diagnose the problem before trying to sell me an old iPad and telling me its probably the logic board. I'm considering sending the iPad in for service. I'm planning on buying a new iPad next week when the new one is announced but would really like to salvage my current one if it can be serviced with a new battery.

Any thoughts?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As well as different cables did you try other USB ports on your computer?

iTunes error 9 can relate to connection problems, such as your iPad losing the USB connection when trying to sync or restore. It can be caused by a defective USB cord or it could be a defective charging port or its connection to the logic board. It's unlikely to be caused by a defective battery, in which case replacing the battery will not solve the problem.

Last edited:
OP
C

Compulady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried charging at the wall, charging at the computer and used different cables. I did not try a different USB port but Apple got the same error 9 message with their cables.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's likely a fault with the charging socket or its connection to the motherboard. If that's the case, replacing the battery won't fix the problem.

OP
C

Compulady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The point is they should be able to give a definitive diagnosis before telling me to throw in the towel. If someone could definitively tell me it is a fault of the charging socket or its connection to the motherboard then I could live with that and make decisions accordingly.

Most reactions

Latest posts