What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 drops Wi-fi and refuses to reconnect

Marlon Bodicker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Recently my iPad 3 (model A1416, iOS 9.3.5 13G36) lost wi-fi connection to my home router (which I regularly turn off, and never had a problem reconnecting automatically in all of those years I had the device) and failed to reconnect.

When I tried manually, the iPad told me my password was invalid. I retyped it 7 times, and only on the 7th occasion was it accepted. I did use a very strong password, but I sincerely doubt I mistyped it 6 times. Anyway, problem solved, but I found it very strange.

Fast forward a few weeks without problems, and it lost connection again. This time, retyping the password over and over again didn't help. I even changed my password to something easy, but to no avail.

After trying out a LOT of options (both on the iPad as well as on the router), I gave up, connected to a different router, and which the iPad happily connected again - without any changes since the last attempt!

Skip forward to today, and my connection is lost again. So far I've tried:
  • restarting / rebooting both iPad and router
  • manually connecting (after forgetting the network)
  • resetting the network settings of the iPad
  • changing the channel / mode / channel width / max tx rate on my router (and all combos)
  • changing WPA/WPA2 version and encryption on my router
  • changing the password on my router
  • removing all MAC filtering
  • changing the transmit power of the router
  • disabling the WMM of the router (found this on a forum even though my router states it's highly recommended to keep this enabled)
  • removing the DHCP mapping for my iPad
The iPad keeps stating that my password is invalid while it isn't. Only after this last action, it cycled a few times between connecting/disconnecting, and now it's connected again (for the time being).

I have no idea what's going on here or where to look next. Can anybody explain to me what's going on here, and why the iPad drops the connection? It's been working fine for years, and all of a sudden it appears to failing at an increasing rate :(

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Kind regards,

Marlon

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the iPad will connect easily with other router but not with your regular home router, it's likely your router is failing. Do any other devices have any problems connecting to this router?

OP
M

Marlon Bodicker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi scifan75,

The thought has crossed my mind, but unfortunately my iPad is the only device in the house that connects via wi-fi. None of us have a mobile phone with wi-fi, and all other devices (tv, computer, recorder, etc...) are cable-connected.

The router log doesn't show any errors or warnings.

I don't know of any easy way to test my wi-fi signal and connection, and borrowing someones phone/tablet for a few days or even weeks isn't an option I'm afraid.

Is there an easy way to find out if the router is at fault?

Thanks!

Marlon

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi scifan75,

The thought has crossed my mind, but unfortunately my iPad is the only device in the house that connects via wi-fi. None of us have a mobile phone with wi-fi, and all other devices (tv, computer, recorder, etc...) are cable-connected.

The router log doesn't show any errors or warnings.

I don't know of any easy way to test my wi-fi signal and connection, and borrowing someones phone/tablet for a few days or even weeks isn't an option I'm afraid.

Is there an easy way to find out if the router is at fault?

Thanks!

Marlon
The fact that your iPad easily connected with another router is pretty good evidence that the fault is with your router. Resetting the router frequently clears up a connection problem unless there's a fault in the router.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When just reseting the router doesn't seem to work, this proceedure sometimes clears up router issues with iPad, at least temporarily.

Go to the iPad's Wi-Fi settings, select and Forget your network.
Turn off/on or reset the iPad.
While the iPad is off/reseting, turn off or unplug the power to your router for a minute or two.
When both the router and iPad have fully restarted, rejoin the network.

Both the iPad and the router can keep information about the other device that can affect your connection status. Only buy clearing both of them can you be sure you're starting with a clean slate.

jesskoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it be a motherboard problem related to the wifi ic on the iPad motherboard? Have you considered that

LisaXm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having exact issue - and now thinking it's a defect with the ipad. Connection was perfect last Friday; yesterday - basically a dead ipad - and it's only 3 days old! I can't even get to the settings on it. Will try above, but am not holding out much hope. Thanks for the tip!

LisaXm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I got it at Staples. Everything worked beautifully on Friday - just can't believe it! Thanks so much!

Most reactions

Latest posts