What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Charging on USB 3 Windows 7

stuartrozier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently brought a USB 3 PCI Card for my pc, as I was told it would charge my iPad 3 via PC. This is the link to the product ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LV3Z0A/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00? ie=UTF8&psc=1 . The ipad doesn't charge after installing drivers that came supplied. I have tried to see what power is being sent when its plugged in via device manager. But this is all I can see ... Capture.GIF ... I am stuck from here ...many thanks, Stuart P.S. this PCI card DOES have a power source going to it, attached from the PC's power unit.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest you charge it via the wall with the charger supplied as it is the correct wattage. Charging any tablet from a PC is hit and miss however most Mac's have no issues. I charge my iPads at night as I use them during the day. I also have a charger in the car if I run low.

Colin
iPad forums Administrator

OP
S

stuartrozier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, thankyou for your quick reply. This is indeed an option for me, but I sit my ipad and my partners ipad in the docks at our pc to charge and sync, and charging was something we would benefit from, many thanks, Stuart

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, thankyou for your quick reply. This is indeed an option for me, but I sit my ipad and my partners ipad in the docks at our pc to charge and sync, and charging was something we would benefit from, many thanks, Stuart

Hi Stuart - as you likely know, the stock chargers that come w/ an iPad output 10W of power (basically 5V x 2Amps; the chargers for the newer iPads have slightly more amperage). The USB 3.0 power output standards have been changing - the early ones offered less than 10W but newer standards provide more power; now, I looked @ the specs of the PCI card you purchased on Amazon and could not find the power output from those USB 3.0 ports - if the amount is less that 10W, then you will have a prolonged charging time - just a consideration.

You might want to tell us about '...ipad in the docks...' - how are you 'docking' your iPads? Might help to better understand your needs? Dave :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Charging off your PC will take what will seem to be forever. Because the wattage is simply not enough and all you'll get is that very slow trickle charge. As indicated above, the charger supplied with your iPad seems the obvious solution.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts