What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 wifi or iPad 2 wifi + 3G

Kimny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get an iPad 2 but not sure what to get the one with just the wifi or wifi + 3G?

Right now I am leaning towards just the wifi since I have my iphone that I can turn on the personal hotspot and get on line that way.

Thanks

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are many threads on this topic. You might search for them on this site or use google and peruse the many articles and blog posts that have considered this same question.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a pretty good plan, I'd say. Consider that you'll save about $130 in the initial purchase price. Add to that the fact that you'll save up to $30 per month on a separate data plan from Verizon or AT&T. (Assuming you're in the US.) Keep in mind, however, that you may have to pay a "tethering" charge on your phone that could amount to about $20 per month.

In addition, there's another potential benefit that's often not mentioned. If you change to a smartphone that supports 4G you'll have a MUCH faster internet connection for your iPad than you'll ever have with its built-in connection. (My 4G/LTE hotspot runs from 7-10 times faster than 3G.)

The major disadvantage of the wifi only iPad is the absence of GPS because Apple opted to combine the two services. But if GPS is important to you, you can purchase a GPS bluetooth receiver that connects wirelessly to the iPad for about $90.

P.S. And the previous poster is right; there are numerous threads on this topic. If you search you'll find a variety of views on the topic.

Last edited:

CureMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
That's a pretty good plan, I'd say. Consider that you'll save about $130 in the initial purchase price. Add to that the fact that you'll save up to $30 per month on a separate data plan from Verizon or AT&T. (Assuming you're in the US.) Keep in mind, however, that you may have to pay a "tethering" charge on your phone that could amount to about $20 per month.

In addition, there's another potential benefit that's often not mentioned. If you change to a smartphone that supports 4G you'll have a MUCH faster internet connection for your iPad than you'll ever have with its built-in connection. (My 4G/LTE hotspot runs from 7-10 times faster than 3G.)

I had the same thought and planned to get the wifi only but I went to my local Verizon store to get both the iPad and iPhone. They didn't have the wifi only version and the guy tried to sell me on the benefits of getting the 3G for what he said was a small difference in the cost. I had done my homework and knew the difference was $130. He wanted the sale enough that he gave me a $65 credit on it. So for an extra $65 I got the 3G should I ever need it.

Thanks for the comment on 4G, I wondered about that - good to know.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get an iPad 2 but not sure what to get the one with just the wifi or wifi + 3G?

Right now I am leaning towards just the wifi since I have my iphone that I can turn on the personal hotspot and get on line that way.

Thanks

Like many I had the same choice to make.

After a LOT of thought I went for the 3G and planned NOT to get a data plan. For me it turns out to be a great decision. I have never put a SIM card in my iPad and probably never will, but if at some time in the future, say travelling in another country where a 2GB pre-paid SIM card is dirt cheap, I can do so, I have not permanently locked myself out of the possibility.

But the main reason I am so very glad I bought the 3G iPad is because it includes GPS! I now use my iPad with the TomTom or Navigon app as my SatNav in the car. 10" is so much easier to read, just a quick glance then eyes back on the road, than a 3" or 4" screen!

3G is more money, but for me, money well spent! And that is without ever using the 3G!!!

Most reactions