What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 wifi issues with diagnostics

EwanG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just received my new iPad 2 straight from Apple last night. Came with 4.3.5 preinstalled. Was tearing my hair out over connectivity issues until I found that turning off the WEP or WPA or WPA2 - i.e. turn off all security - "fixes" it.

So tonight I spent some time trying things with the iPad 2 and a monitor on the router.

If ANY type of security is turned on, then the router sees the iPad 2 connect, but shows it as having the IP of "0.0.0.0". If I try to enter a static IP, this makes no change at the router, and there is no obvious change at the iPad 2. If instead I try to use DHCP, then the iPad 2 initially shows nothing. If I renew lease I then show an IP of "169.254.176.38" and a subnet mask of "255.255.255.0", although the router still sees it as 0.0.0.0.

Once I turn off security, then DHCP works. HOWEVER, if I try to setup a Static IP it STILL does DHCP as evidenced by the fact that disconnecting and reconnecting the iPad gets an IP address that is NOT the one I have put in with the Static IP.

Since it works without dropping with security turned off, I doubt this is a hardware issue. I am wondering if "fixing" certificates in 4.3.5 broke something else?

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just received my new iPad 2 straight from Apple last night. Came with 4.3.5 preinstalled. Was tearing my hair out over connectivity issues until I found that turning off the WEP or WPA or WPA2 - i.e. turn off all security - "fixes" it.

So tonight I spent some time trying things with the iPad 2 and a monitor on the router.

If ANY type of security is turned on, then the router sees the iPad 2 connect, but shows it as having the IP of "0.0.0.0". If I try to enter a static IP, this makes no change at the router, and there is no obvious change at the iPad 2. If instead I try to use DHCP, then the iPad 2 initially shows nothing. If I renew lease I then show an IP of "169.254.176.38" and a subnet mask of "255.255.255.0", although the router still sees it as 0.0.0.0.

Once I turn off security, then DHCP works. HOWEVER, if I try to setup a Static IP it STILL does DHCP as evidenced by the fact that disconnecting and reconnecting the iPad gets an IP address that is NOT the one I have put in with the Static IP.

Since it works without dropping with security turned off, I doubt this is a hardware issue. I am wondering if "fixing" certificates in 4.3.5 broke something else?

I'm having the same issue, though I haven't yet turned off the security on my router - need to do a factory reset, lost the password.

I have the same problem however - even if I use a Static IP Address and type it in, I can't get internet connectivity. I've tried everything suggested other than turning off the security or replacing the router.

BTW, I'm on my 2nd iPad - the first one didn't connect to public wi-fi spots either.

Mark

OP
EwanG

EwanG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to pre-answer a question that came up in the Apple "support" forums - this is happening on three different routers (TrendNet, Linksys, and Cradlepoint) that are working just fine with an iPad 1, a couple of iPhones, and a couple desktop computers. They all have their most recent firmware. Given that, isn't it odd to think the one thing that changed wouldn't be the problem (i.e. the iPad 2)?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a long shot, and I'm sure it's been tried by both of you before, but have either of you reset the ipad since the update? If you have and I missed that fact, forgive me for repeating advice; but a reset after an update often clears up unusual problems.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
EwanG

EwanG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't mention that, but yes, I did try that. Also tried resetting the network settings a couple of times in case some "crud" was being left behind from configuring a few times.

One thing I'm wondering is if it's possible Apple is using two different chip sets due to the demand, and perhaps one of them has a driver issue?

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had tried resetting the iPad a couple times, as well as turning off & unplugging the router to no avail.

What finally solved it in my case was to change the security to WPA2 from WEP. I know that won't help in EwanG's case. I know in some cases the only way to solve was to replace the router.

Mark

Screech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.3.5 Connectivity

I'm assuming that the issue must be with iOS 4.3.5. This also startd happening on my iPhone 4 after I updated.

trksales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wish i knew what you just said, i'd love to try it !

trksales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is a "static" ip address. do i just write static or something. everybody seems to refer to this as a possible fix but nobody describes what it is.

Most reactions

Latest posts