What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 wifi connection drops intermittently....problem solved

Reaction score
Searched everywhere for an answer. Everyone always posts about resetting the iPad or perhaps even the router....some have even suggested replacing the router. This is all not true!

We just realized that the cause of the connection dropping was the stupid magnetic case!!!!

Case on, connection drops or can't connect. Case off the connection is stable and I can type this message! I'm assuming everyone is using the same cover which is why everyone is experiencing this connection issue. Yet no one is realizing this. When you think about it why would you ever place a magnet near an electronic device!? You wouldn't!

I smell law suit for selling faulty covers. Please everyone else try this out and let me know if it fixes your iPad 2 wifi connection issues. It fixed ours!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A
Reaction score
You will find countless posts regarding this matter on the forums if you search for it. The fact of the matter is that you should never place anything magnetic near an electronic device such as this. The problem can be as simple as interference or more seriously the magnet actually causing damage to the device. This thread is intended to help people who are having issues with a dropped connection.

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This would make sense with my iphone constantly losing the wi-fi indoors and my Ipad doesn't. My iphone case has a large magnetic front. Have to try that tonight see if it makes a difference without the case.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the problem without using a magnet and i can not believe that Apple would bring a smartcover on the market without testing it.

Today i spent a lot of time changing settings on my router. Tried everything, but nothing helped. The last thing I changed was the channel. Since then I never had a drop out. See if it stays good, but so far okay.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
A
Reaction score
If the cover was bad for wifi it would be bad for all of us with one . Not just some

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Not true. Every piece of electronic equipment is unique in a way and can be affected differently. If you know anything about electronics you would understand the concept. Would you place a magnet next to your computer's hard drive for example? Of course not.

I can say for a fact that our units are no longer affected by wifi issues since the covers have been removed.

OP
A
Reaction score
One point to mention as well is that the problem didn't occur immediately but rather over a few weeks. This to me says that the issue wasn't one of interference but rather one of some kind of damage being done as a result of placing the cover on. We didn't place the covers on when the units were purchased as we didn't buy them right away. The iPads experienced no drop in wifi at that time. We then placed the covers on a few weeks after and the wifi drops began. Now the covers are off and the wifi is stable without issues. There is obviously something going on with the covers.

Appsolutecreations.com

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only issue I seem to have is with Belkin routers. Have a Mac mini works fine on airport, ps3 works fine on wifi, ip4 works fine. iPad 1 dropped connection, iPad 2 drops connection only with the Belkin(with updated firmware). Other routers seem fine and also a jail broken ip4 but not Belkin.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have used the smart cover since day one (4 weeks and counting) with 95% of our usage being at home via wifi. Haven't had one single dropout of signal.

lees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the smart cover and never had a disconnect with wifi. I did have them on my Itouch and replaced the router... No drops at all on the touch now

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appsolutecreations said:
Not true. Every piece of electronic equipment is unique in a way and can be affected differently. If you know anything about electronics you would understand the concept. Would you place a magnet next to your computer's hard drive for example? Of course not.

I can say for a fact that our units are no longer affected by wifi issues since the covers have been removed.

I do know that Apple engineers would not be stupid enough to mass-produce something that is affected by there magnets. I have a technical background I do diagnostic work for a living I do know that sometimes you can stumble upon something that you think it is and it's really something else so you may be fooled by thinking it's the cover. So unless you got sophisticated electronic equipment hooked up to it and can do comparison with the cover on and off . What you think you know and what hard-core diagnostic work will tell you may not be the same some thing in your wifi could have change making you think it is the cover .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Appsolutecreations said:

I do know that Apple engineers would not be stupid enough to mass-produce something that is affected by magnets. I have a technical background I do diagnostic work for a living I do know that sometimes you can stumble upon something that you think it is and it's really something else so you may be fooled by thinking it's the cover. So unless you got sophisticated electronic equipment hooked up to it and can do comparison with the cover on and off . What you think you know and what hard-core diagnostic work will tell you may not be the same some thing in your wifi could have change making you think it is the cover .

It is a well known fact that the Droid X is susceptible to problems with aftermarket holsters with magnets in them. Many other phones have had issues as well, my old LG8600 being one .
A manufacturer of a product cannot foresee all possible issues with aftermarket accessories.
I'm not stating it is or is not the case with the OPs wifi drop as I don't have a magnetic cover and have wifi drop issues as well but I am not willing to state the op is wrong either because I have seen aftermarket accessories do all kinds of strange things to electronics

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Searched everywhere for an answer. Everyone always posts about resetting the iPad or perhaps even the router....some have even suggested replacing the router. This is all not true!

We just realized that the cause of the connection dropping was the stupid magnetic case!!!!

Case on, connection drops or can't connect. Case off the connection is stable and I can type this message! I'm assuming everyone is using the same cover which is why everyone is experiencing this connection issue. Yet no one is realizing this. When you think about it why would you ever place a magnet near an electronic device!? You wouldn't!

I smell law suit for selling faulty covers. Please everyone else try this out and let me know if it fixes your iPad 2 wifi connection issues. It fixed ours!!!

Since you asked....my iPad 2 has connected to a multitude of different WiFi connections since March 21 with never an issue. Inside buildings and outside as well. My smart cover is always on.

Got a chuckle about your lawsuit comment. Most courtrooms have WiFi. The iPad is becoming an excellent tool for attorneys (and judges), especially during trials and evidentiary hearings. Nothing like having case law and statutes at your fingertips. Could be challenging to convince a judge that the smart cover is faulty when the judge's iPad (with smart cover) works perfectly in the courtroom.

I'm glad you resolved your issue for now, but don't think it has anything to do with the magnets on the smart cover, which are pretty weak anyway. If you do a bit of research, you'll find that it takes a very powerful magnet, like a laboratory degausser, to zap data on a hard drive.

I recall a lengthy discussion at the Apple site about dropped WiFi connections. Consensus was that router settings/configuration were the culprit, especially older routers or routers in need of a firmware update. Might be worth checking into that thread if you continue to have problems.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have used the smart cover since day one (4 weeks and counting) with 95% of our usage being at home via wifi. Haven't had one single dropout of signal.

Same here. My wife and I each use one in many different public and private wifi situations and have never had a problem. Both iPad2s have Smartcovers.

Most reactions

Latest posts