What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 vs Ipad 3

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makinnard said:
Hi I was going to to get a Ipad this weekend but I'm not sure I'd I should get an ipad 2 or just get a ipad 3. I planing playing games
And just to use it for college in the fall. I not in to taking pictures with it as I have a phone that does that lol

Any suggestions

Thanks magnum

If the money isn't an issue, go with the latest model, the "new" iPad. The games, etc will start being designed for the retina display, so you may as well already have it.

Let us know what you decide.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Ok....don't see how to edit a post with this app....but it was 111 deg F in 34 minutes.

Just press the blue arrow on the right and select Edit.

Let's get back on track in this thread please.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
leelai said:
Just press the blue arrow on the right and select Edit.

Let's get back on track in this thread please.

I see. The edit only shows for your own posts, which makes sense. Thanks.

AceCoolie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my take - I had both the iPad 2 and iPad 3 (after comparing them both side by side, I sold my iPad 2). I'm also a software engineer and have developed device drivers for S3, 3dfx, ATI, AMD, and Microsoft. The iPad 3 runs a little warmer than the 2. This is no big deal and is of no concern what so ever. It's within spec. Also, all modern ASICs have thermal protection designed into them. No one, not even consumer reports, has induced a thermal shut down or witnessed any software errors due to heat. It's a complete non-issue.

As for the wi-fi, my iPad 3 does get worse reception than my 2 did in the exact same spot. It still works. It's not a problem. It's just that this is a different device and probably has a different antenna configuration etc. I've got several laptops and they all get different reception. Both iPads get different reception based on how you hold them. If I'm laying in bed with the device in landscape mode with the home button on the left, I get one bar fewer than if I flip it 180 degrees with the home button on the right.

In my opinion, the only reason to get the 3 is if you LOVE the screen. I read a LOT on my iPad so that was my sole reason for upgrading. Side by side, there are many cases where the iPad 3 is actually .5 second or so slower than my iPad 2. For example, in the maps app, the 2 renders faster. That is, off course, because the images are lower res. When the 3 does complete, the results are noticeably sharper. It's the same case with many websites. There are games that are smoother on the iPad 2 because the iPad 3 is rendering so many more pixels.

As far as net "horse power", I don't think the iPad 3 is really any more powerful than the iPad 2. The A5x and extra RAM are needed to provide the same performance while rendering 4x the pixels for the new screen. For me, I'm perfectly fine with this. I didn't buy it thinking it was a more powerful tablet. I just wanted the sharpest screen I could get.

If I were you, I would go look at both tablets in the store side by side. If you don't notice the difference in the screens immediately, you'd probably be perfectly happy with the 2. If you need someone to point out the differences, then they probably aren't that important to you. You can get a killer deal on a used iPad 2. I just sold my 64GB wifi for $450.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excellent post ACE COOLIE. Your note along with the news on the front of our forum in the news section comparing heat with iPad 2, new iPad and an Android Tablet, etc. sure helps promote a better understanding of this issue. Thank you.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AceCoolie said:
Here's my take - I had both the iPad 2 and iPad 3 (after comparing them both side by side, I sold my iPad 2). I'm also a software engineer and have developed device drivers for S3, 3dfx, ATI, AMD, and Microsoft. The iPad 3 runs a little warmer than the 2. This is no big deal and is of no concern what so ever. It's within spec. Also, all modern ASICs have thermal protection designed into them. No one, not even consumer reports, has induced a thermal shut down or witnessed any software errors due to heat. It's a complete non-issue.

As for the wi-fi, my iPad 3 does get worse reception than my 2 did in the exact same spot. It still works. It's not a problem. It's just that this is a different device and probably has a different antenna configuration etc. I've got several laptops and they all get different reception. Both iPads get different reception based on how you hold them. If I'm laying in bed with the device in landscape mode with the home button on the left, I get one bar fewer than if I flip it 180 degrees with the home button on the right.

In my opinion, the only reason to get the 3 is if you LOVE the screen. I read a LOT on my iPad so that was my sole reason for upgrading. Side by side, there are many cases where the iPad 3 is actually .5 second or so slower than my iPad 2. For example, in the maps app, the 2 renders faster. That is, off course, because the images are lower res. When the 3 does complete, the results are noticeably sharper. It's the same case with many websites. There are games that are smoother on the iPad 2 because the iPad 3 is rendering so many more pixels.

As far as net "horse power", I don't think the iPad 3 is really any more powerful than the iPad 2. The A5x and extra RAM are needed to provide the same performance while rendering 4x the pixels for the new screen. For me, I'm perfectly fine with this. I didn't buy it thinking it was a more powerful tablet. I just wanted the sharpest screen I could get.

If I were you, I would go look at both tablets in the store side by side. If you don't notice the difference in the screens immediately, you'd probably be perfectly happy with the 2. If you need someone to point out the differences, then they probably aren't that important to you. You can get a killer deal on a used iPad 2. I just sold my 64GB wifi for $450.

Very nicely said. Without a 2to compare directly against, they two tablet seem the same to me performance-wise.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AceCoolie - great post and written in a manner which explains it all and certainly makes sense to me.

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are not in to taking pictures, I think iPad 2 of cheaper price can meet your needs in college. Personally, I suggest iPad 3:)

Sweetchinmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are not in to taking pictures, I think iPad 2 of cheaper price can meet your needs in college. Personally, I suggest iPad 3:)
same here...I was questioning my pick until my brother brought over his iPad 2, overall I'm happy with my buy of the ipad3, plus it's Just a $100 difference, if I was u I'll get the iPad 3, it's an investment.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts