What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Smart Cover Review And Overview

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm noticing 3 faint horizontal stripes across the face of the display apparently from the hinge lines of the smart cover. They do seem to wipe off, but I wonder about the long term effects.

Anyone else seeing this?

Is a microfiber cloth the best way to clean the screen?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I've noticed that too. I've been using a microfiber cloth as well to clean the screen and it's been working alright.

It's just the finger oil that was on the screen when you closed it. The stripes are from where the inside of the cover doesn't come in contact with the screen. The microfiber inside the case soaks up some of the resedue except for where the 3 seams are recessed. The screen cleans up easily with a good cloth just like it does with fingerprints.

I had a case that only had one folding seam inside the cover, and it left a similar single grease stripe.

Mareware will be shipping a nice thin microshell that covers the back and works with the Smart Covers.

In the meantime, I have simply stuck self sticking round clear tiny rubber feet that you can buy in sheets. Put one in each corner (or more) to keep the back of the iPad off the surface of tables, etc. They peel right off with no harm and look like they came on the iPad.

wirthurs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fujigonewild006 said:
but...what protects the back if you use a smart cover?

Exactly the same question!

I have the smart cover, but I have to pay huge attention to get no scratches at the back.
So I'm waiting for a complete case!

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
It's just the finger oil that was on the screen when you closed it. The stripes are from where the inside of the cover doesn't come in contact with the screen. The microfiber inside the case soaks up some of the resedue except for where the 3 seams are recessed. The screen cleans up easily with a good cloth just like it does with fingerprints.

I had a case that only had one folding seam inside the cover, and it left a similar single grease stripe.

Mareware will be shipping a nice thin microshell that covers the back and works with the Smart Covers.

In the meantime, I have simply stuck self sticking round clear tiny rubber feet that you can buy in sheets. Put one in each corner (or more) to keep the back of the iPad off the surface of tables, etc. They peel right off with no harm and look like they came on the iPad.

Great idea. I'm going to do that tonight until I can get a cover for the back that works with the smart cover.

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm opting for the green cover. I will use the same leather bag I transported my iPad in.
I looked at the Targus swivel case at Best Buy but I thought it added too much weight and bulk to the iPad2.

smitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for something that will hold my iPad 2 with smart cover, charger and cable, not add too much bulk, protect it and look good. Is that too much to ask?

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
smitty said:
I'm looking for something that will hold my iPad 2 with smart cover, charger and cable, not add too much bulk, protect it and look good. Is that too much to ask?

Nah, not at all. However I'd suggest using a sleeve with your iPad2 before putting it in a case or bag that you carry other items.
I use a leather purse (same dimensions as iPad), that has inside and outside pockets as well as sections. Even though it sounds bulky, it's not.
It's like an ultra slim, petite saddle/side bag. Anyway, if you are a female, you might want to search in the handbag section of department stores or a specialty shop.

Lekan Pense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tenkisan said:
I bought the first gen iPad on release day and got the black Apple protector with it. I found a thin microfiber cloth that fit the screen size and just kept it under the folded lid. It was great for quick screen cleaning but I always had to keep tabs on it. When I bought the iPad 2 on release day I sprung for the dark blue leather smart cover and kept the original microfiber towel under the cover. The smart cover magnet was barely strong enough to stay closed with the cloth underneath.

The first time I tried to use the microfiber that came on the bottom side of the smart cover, the iPad 2 kept going to sleep and waking up as I tried to wipe the screen and it didn't do a very good job. I found folding the smart cover into a triangle and then wiping the screen to work a little better. I haven't decided if I want to get rid of the original microfiber towel just yet. I imagine after a while the smart cover microfiber would get dirty.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I experienced the same thing with the iPad 2. I think the best way to clean the iPad 2 is unattach the cover when it's used to prop up the iPad. Using the folded up cover to clean is quite effective.

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AJsAWiz said:
I'm opting for the green cover. I will use the same leather bag I transported my iPad in.
I looked at the Targus swivel case at Best Buy but I thought it added too much weight and bulk to the iPad2.

Update: Just got the green smart cover and LOVE it! Does exactly what I want and need :D
Fits perfectly, for transporting, in the sleeve I had. I like how it folds flat in the back.

smitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AJsAWiz said:
Update: Just got the green smart cover and LOVE it! Does exactly what I want and need :D
Fits perfectly, for transporting, in the sleeve I had. I like how it folds flat in the back.

Where did you get the sleeve?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Jay A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love the cover. No marks front or back so far...and I am completely OCD when I'm looking!

Jay A

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And I bought a nice sleeve from the local Apple stockists. Meant for an iPad but fits the iPad 2 and smart cover nicely!

drjuliebug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the light blue polyurethane Smart Cover for my white iPad2. (Couldn't decide whether I wanted blue or green; the day I bought the iPad, Future Shop was out of green covers but had plenty of blue in stock, so that made the decision for me.)

The Smart Cover seems to do a great job of keeping my screen clean. Once I start traveling more with the iPad, I may get something like an InCase cover for it. but for short trips, the 'pad and Smart Cover fit perfectly into a small padded backpack I have. The backpack is actually a hydration pack holder, but I don't use the water bag much, so it's an ideal organizer that just happens to fit the iPad perfectly. I've used it as a carry-on flight bag for short trips, and can see it working well for flying with an iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts