What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 screen dims then brightens for no reason without touching

cvondetten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok im new with the ipad and have it set to auto loch after 2min.
now i figured it would dim then sleep.
funny thing is now it would dim like i expect then while i wait for it to sleep the screen basicaly wakes back up and brightens again without me touching it in any way.

Any thoughts? im a little confused and could use a second opinion.

OP
C

cvondetten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ive turn that off but it has happened again. i wonder if this has anything to do with the sensitivity of the touch screen itself. I tried to blow air on the screen after it had dimed and it brightened up like i mentioned before.
When that happened i figured id just push the sleep button to put it to sleep instead of waiting. I dont like to use the button too much as im a little OCD and it was a birthday present only a few weeks old now.

Is this a unique occurance or has any one else experienced the same thing ?

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do the power/home button reset and check again.

OP
C

cvondetten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i reckon it might be the sensitivity of the screen itself
it seems to happen when my ipad is near the flow of air from the ac and when i deliberately blew air on the screen.
thought?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My screen will dim prior to turning itself off and any interaction with the screen during this stage results in the screen returning to normal brightness levels.

I've never watched closely enough to know how long it is between the screen dim and screen shutdown stages but I wouldn't be too concerned about the behavior unless the screen is dimming during active use.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Turn off the auto lock feature and your screen will stay at bright until you lock it yourself

OP
C

cvondetten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok ive experimented with the settings and have found this happens when i let it sleep while using ibooks.
I use my ipad ot read alot at night before bed and then just leave it to turn of with the auto lock.
was wondering if there may be a bug with the ibook app for the ipad that cause the screen to dim prior to sleeping, then brighten without interation, then dim and then sleep.
It happens in that order. dim bright dim sleep

but when i leave the ibook app and leave it on the normal home screen, the ipad dims then sleeps normaly.

Thoughts??

OP
C

cvondetten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok i thought i would go back into the apple store here, the istudios and tested my theory about the screen sensitivity. I set ipad show model on to auto lock for 2 min, waited for it to dim as it should normally. Then, at the risk of looking like a bit of weirdo, i blew some air in the general direction of the screen and it lit back up just like someone touched the screen.
So i guess its a normal thing with the ipad. Case closed.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Might be your shadow over the ambient light sensor instead of the breath (since you had to lean close).

Sounds plausible. Tried that and worked on my iPad.

Most reactions