What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 orientation

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take out your ipad and turn off the orientation lock if its on. Place it in front of you so that the home button is facing you. Now tilt it to the left so that the orientation switches, then tilt it again to the right.

For some reason, I have to tilt it about 45 degrees to the left before it switches orientation. When tilting to the right however, it only takes about 10 degrees. Is my accelerometer broken, or is this just the way it's designed?

Reaction score
anonchi said:
Take out your ipad and turn off the orientation lock if its on. Place it in front of you so that the home button is facing you. Now tilt it to the left so that the orientation switches, then tilt it again to the right.

For some reason, I have to tilt it about 45 degrees to the left before it switches orientation. When tilting to the right however, it only takes about 10 degrees. Is my accelerometer broken, or is this just the way it's designed?

No, I don't think it is broken.

Try this:

Place the iPad in front of you, so that the home button is facing you. Now tilt to the right, so that the orientation switches.

It takes about 45 degrees before it switches orientation.

However, when following your above instructions does my iPad behave exactly the same. But I suspect it is a software issue, I.e. the iPad detects it is being tilted, so it tilts more easily the next time.

OP
A

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I kept switching left to right back and forth and tilting to the left always takes much more of a tilt to switch than the left. If it's not happening to yours then I guess my accelerometer isnt calibrated properly. I guess Ill take to Apple

Reaction score
anonchi said:
I kept switching left to right back and forth and tilting to the left always takes much more of a tilt to switch than the left. If it's not happening to yours then I guess my accelerometer isnt calibrated properly. I guess Ill take to Apple

Nonono

What I meant is, when tilting left then right, it also changes orientation at 45 degrees and then at 10 degrees.

However, when only tilting right, it will change orientation at 45 degrees as well.

The iPad 2 has a gyroscope, which let's the iPad determine it's orientation without any calibration.

It seems the left, than right tilt is a software issue, not hardware, because when tilting right and than left, it changes orientation at 45 degrees both times. Is this not true for yours, if you tilt right first?

OP
A

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried it a bunch of different ways. I turned it to the right, put it to sleep, turned it to the left, put it to sleep. No matter what I do, it always takes , much more of a tilt to the left than to the right. I thought that it might be programmed to orient at a lower tilt to the right because thats where people tilt it when using the smart cover as a typing stand. But apparently Im the only one experiencing this. In fact as I was typing this on my ipad, I moved it around a bit while still laying flat on my desk, and it switched orientation. Its definitely a hardware issue

Reaction score
I still don't think your iPad is broken.

And your theory, the right tilt's at a lower angle, due to the SmartCover stand is spot on.

For me, the only time it does not change orientation at a 10% right tilt, is if the iPad is in Portrait mode, in landscape mode it always changes orientation at 10%.

Can you confirm that when in Portrait mode it takes more then 10% tilting to the right to change the orientation? If this is the case, your iPad isn't broken.

Most reactions

Latest posts