What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD-2 New features. Most of them - Not for me

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, me neither. But my user experience with iPad1 is still great and the added benefits (like camera, faster, ...) won't improve my experience that much. Well, I mostly use it for reading, so the slow part here is me ;-) (mostly)

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is pretty much where I am at. My user experience continues to be awesome, so it's not like what I have is going to stop doing what it's doing with the arrival of the update on Friday. Now, in my case, granted, I don't use the graphics and don't want the camera, so I do think it's going to be a good upgrade for those that want it, and those users will be the ones who will notice performance differences. But for my use, all my apps load fast and run smoothly, and my internet is fast, so I'm good to keep going.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sadly developers are already working to exploit the hardware changes and I can foresee new software that won't be able to run on older machines. Software of the complexity of iMovie and garage Band will need the extra core and ram to run with any degree of fluidity.
Still the iPad 1 is a pretty decent machine and will continue to have a lot of use in this house. I shall as IT provider reserve the new machine for my personal use however.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes-I agree that there will of course be apps developed to take advantage of the new processor-only stands to reason, but I am still not concerned it will render my particular use of the first generation obsolete anytime soon before the battery goes on it. I think I will get my battery lifespan of my iPad just fine. At that point, then I will get the new one, whichever one is out at the time.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Graphics Chip

I think it has 512mb. Kinda low. And it does not have 9x better graphics processing. If it did it would be like 2x better than any technology out today. Its a marketing thing. It might be 9x better in one respect, not overall.
35417.png

can't wait trip see out benchmarks though. Love the power vr sgx chip it uses.

the iPAD2 has upgraded the chip ... now 543 not 535... 9x better performance

Also the hints are not only does iPAD2 have 512 MB, but it is faster 1066 vs 800 mhz/sec.

More RAM and faster processor means better performance.
Team that with A5 which processes twice as fast ... iPAD2 is a real winner.

This better performance really shows up in iMOVIE and Garageband
Also in Safari (which is twice as fast in iOS4.3)

Reaction score
madhatter61 said:

This is speculation, or is there any evidence that apps like Garageband will be slower on iPad 1?

The way I see it, apps are designed to run lag free on the iPad

Perhaps the input in Notetaking apps and the switching between apps will be faster, but for example I don't see how you would notice the difference in Garageband while playing an instrument.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just reading an article where the author was able to run some head-to-head performance tests on the new iPad 2 (browser and java script tests) and the iPad was barely any faster in real life. So, do NOT expect it to be "twice as fast" as the iPad 1 - it won't be...

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy it friday and if it does perform like they it will . I will take it back and get a refurb 64 gb ipad 1

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just reading an article where the author was able to run some head-to-head performance tests on the new iPad 2 (browser and java script tests) and the iPad was barely any faster in real life. So, do NOT expect it to be "twice as fast" as the iPad 1 - it won't be...
This unnamed author seems to be the only one who felt that way. All reports I have read say the iPad 2 was in fact noticeably faster than the original. Which is no big surprise--it should be.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:

This is speculation, or is there any evidence that apps like Garageband will be slower on iPad 1?

The way I see it, apps are designed to run lag free on the iPad

Perhaps the input in Notetaking apps and the switching between apps will be faster, but for example I don't see how you would notice the difference in Garageband while playing an instrument.
You have to be kidding here. There is no doubt a CPU-intensive app like iMovie will be faster: rendering is CPU-intensive and right now is very slow on an iPad.

As far as the assertion that Safari is faster in 4.3, the javascript engine is indeed faster. One test shows it is twice as fast as 4.2.1. Another 60% faster on iPad 2.

Wishing that our iPads will be as fast as iPad 2s is just that: wishful thinking.

Michael

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
This unnamed author seems to be the only one who felt that way. All reports I have read say the iPad 2 was in fact noticeably faster than the original. Which is no big surprise--it should be.

Michael

Let me see if I can digg up where I was reading that - I think it may have been on AppAdvice. There is no doubt it will be faster, but I hardly think it will really be twice as fast in actual usage as most people are assuming.

I'll be back shortly with a link to the article I am referring to.

EDIT: Ha! For the life of me, I cannot find that damn article! Maybe I dreamt it? :)

It's now driving me crazy though, so I'll keep looking (for my sanity, that is!).

EDIT 2: I found it! Interesting read...

http://t.co/Z9X3H6q

Last edited:

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I just looked this up and the CNET link is gone. It is hilarious though how rather impartial sites are reporting this as a minor speed bump and then the Apple sites are using the same link to declare a massive leap in browsing speed.

We will know for sure when anandtech does their review. Its the only review I trust or care about. They are absolutely the best.

Edit: Found the cache of the CNET page:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...than-original-ipad-thrashes-android-50003026/

iPad2 scores 2097

They don't test the Xoom, but the Xoom gets 2052, so basically the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtjpXvrD5fw&feature=player_detailpage#t=210s

That is impressive, but indicates that the iPad2 will be similar hardware wise to the Motorola Xoom at least for browser performance, so nothing too spectacular. Again, can't wait for anandtech to review it.

Last edited:

rgollmit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the IPhone Apps be used on the IPad
at no cost, or do you have to purchase
them again?

Most reactions