What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 baatery and charger

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I found out why my battery was going faster(I think) I had the 3G turned on, I'm not signed up for 3G but maybe just having it on in settings causes it to ping the cell towers wasting the battery. (??) Since I turned it off my iPad now seems to be losing charge slower than my husbands! I've been surfing the web on the couch for 1.5hours and it's still at 97%. now that's what I like to see!

It's been mentioned on the forum that the Verizon iPad may use battery a bit faster than the AT&T one, if that is applicable.

I wish I could remember who said it, to give credit. I haven't run across any articles about this myself, yet. I'm a bit behind on my RSS feeds today.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It's been mentioned on the forum that the Verizon iPad may use battery a bit faster than the AT&T one, if that is applicable.

That would only apply if 3G is turned on, correct?

Vulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Owners

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPad purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $99, plus $6.95 shipping

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
smitty said:
I know there's been a lot of discussion about this but I thought it might be good to get some real observations together. I went to bed and put the iPad 2 on charge at about 0200, at that time it was at ~31%. I got up this morning at 0700 and it was up to 85%. By 0830 it was up to 100%. I woke it up (smart cover) and did about 15 minutes of browsing ipf while still on the charger. That brought it down to 97%. I put it back to sleep and 20 minutes later it was back to 100%. BTW what happened to all the great usage stats from the iPhone 4? After about an hour's casual usage (without charging) it's now down to 84%.

It seems to me that it's pretty hard on batteries and is fairly slow to charge. I also had trouble believing that using it while on the charger would deplete the battery. Since I did not have an original iPad and have only my iPhone 4 for comparison, I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.

How does this stack up with what others are experiencing? Maybe we can do some real comparisons--Apples to Apples :)--and try to figure out what's normal and what isn't.

IPad 2 64 GiB + 3G with Smart Cover.

Go to bed at 2 am and get up at 7 am. How do you make it throughout the day?!?!?!?!?!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just speculating. Don't hit me, please. ;)

In another thread today a member had some problems with an app making downloads, because they were not working in the background. He got around it by leaving the app open, but using the power button to put it to sleep.

It made me wonder if say, leaving Safari open with a page that does updates (like advertising banners) would continue to use extra battery even if the iPad screen was off. Many apps continue to use the internet to update as long as they are active. The question is, do they remain active if on, even if the iPad is in sleep mode?

I admit it's far fetched, but it could account for some of the longer charge times or overnight battery drains I've seen mentioned in this and other threads.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could put your iPad to sleep at 100% charge at night and leave your normal apps running in the background and check the battery % in the morning.

The next night do the same test at the same times with all of your apps killed..... you get the picture.....

I'd be interested to hear about the results.

I've though of several variations on this, but frankly I'm not worried enough by it to go to the trouble. A proper set of tests, with controls, would take at least a week to work through unless you had several iPads to work with. I've just got my one, and I like being able to use it whenever I want. Even if I wake up in the middle of the night.

Lazy and uncommitted I am.

OP
S

smitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
Go to bed at 2 am and get up at 7 am. How do you make it throughout the day?!?!?!?!?!
Naps!

twerppoet said:
and I like being able to use it whenever I want. Even if I wake up in the middle of the night.
I can't argue with that. I'm beginning to think that my experience isn't much different than anyone else's. It also sounds like the 10 hour claim may be a tad overstated with real usage.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
Since I've been using The iPad 2, I have noticed that the battery is not as good as the original so far. I've noticed with these type of devices, that it's get better after a few charge & discharge cycles. I never let my iPad 1 drop too low either and it worked really well before. I have the Verizon version and will see if it helps turning it off while I'm using wi fi.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts