What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 is official..details here xoom owned by ipad 2

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When iPad has an SD slot and a USB slot talk to me about it being "da bomb". Until then it is a great piece of equipment with unacceptable and unnecessary limitations.

I will state you are out numbered. The rest of the world disagrees with you but that's ok Why don't we put a DVD or Blue ray drive in to the iPad add Ethernet and keyboard while we are going oh and a mouse . Oh I forgot that is a laptop.

What you need is a pc laptop or net computer take your pick then you can deal with the limitations of those products. In 8 months I have had absolutely no need for USB standalone port on the iPad. I own a sd card adapter and it works fine transferring Picts from my camera. Considering I backup may be weekly using a USB cable supplied by Apple I do not see the point of your discussion. If it is about mounting 3 tb drive off the iPad you have the wrong product. There are many ways to expand the iPad storage without adding ports.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When iPad has an SD slot and a USB slot talk to me about it being "da bomb". Until then it is a great piece of equipment with unacceptable and unnecessary limitations.
Since the lack of those features make it unacceptable, you'll be selling yours, right?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I will state you are out numbered. The rest of the world disagrees with you but that's ok Why don't we put a DVD or Blue ray drive in to the iPad add Ethernet and keyboard while we are going oh and a mouse . Oh I forgot that is a laptop.

What you need is a pc laptop or net computer take your pick then you can deal with the limitations of those products. In 8 months I have had absolutely no need for USB standalone port on the iPad. I own a sd card adapter and it works fine transferring Picts from my camera. Considering I backup may be weekly using a USB cable supplied by Apple I do not see the point of your discussion. If it is about mounting 3 tb drive off the iPad you have the wrong product. There are many ways to expand the iPad storage without adding ports.

Couldn't agree more. USB isn't needed on the iPad. Besides a keyboard, what would you physically connect to it? That's what Bluetooth keyboards are for. An external hdd? But you're already backing up to your computer's hard drive when you sync and update your ipad. A mouse? Let's not get ridiculous here. BD drive? If it's a movie why not just use your Netflix account and stream it? Maybe doing all those things with the iPad would be cool, but then you'd be toting around a bunch of crap so you might as well just use a laptop instead.

To be honest, though, an SD slot WOULD be nice to have. Using a dongle is so '90s and rather a bulky, sometimes inconvenient, means to transfer images from a camera via SD or cable. Especially if you're like me in that you frequently work with DSLR images on your iPad in the field. It's fine for most folks who casually do this. The dongles are yet another thing to tote around. Now, if my camera (Canon DSLR) had WiFi, maybe this could change all that and the connection kit would pretty much go unused except for as a backup method? I'll have to look into getting one of those EyeFi (I think that's what they call them) cards that combine memory and provide WiFi, providing there is enough capacity. Document support from an SD would be nice, too. But then I see where potential for malware infection rises.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:

Couldn't agree more. USB isn't needed on the iPad. Besides a keyboard, what would you physically connect to it? That's what Bluetooth keyboards are for. An external hdd? But you're already backing up to your computer's hard drive when you sync and update your ipad. A mouse? Let's not get ridiculous here. BD drive? If it's a movie why not just use your Netflix account and stream it? Maybe doing all those things with the iPad would be cool, but then you'd be toting around a bunch of crap so you might as well just use a laptop instead.

To be honest, though, an SD slot WOULD be nice to have. Using a dongle is so '90s and rather a bulky, sometimes inconvenient, means to transfer images from a camera via SD or cable. Especially if you're like me in that you frequently work with DSLR images on your iPad in the field. It's fine for most folks who casually do this. The dongles are yet another thing to tote around. Now, if my camera (Canon DSLR) had WiFi, maybe this could change all that and the connection kit would pretty much go unused except for as a backup method? I'll have to look into getting one of those EyeFi (I think that's what they call them) cards that combine memory and provide WiFi, providing there is enough capacity. Document support from an SD would be nice, too. But then I see where potential for malware infection rises.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

I'm now actually considering grabbing a 32GB 3G iPad 2 to replace my 64GB iPad.....since I got my iPhone I don't have ANY music or movies stored locally...because of 3G I can listen to my entire music collection from my home computer, and watch movies on netflix and hulu.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
I'm now actually considering grabbing a 32GB 3G iPad 2 to replace my 64GB iPad.....since I got my iPhone I don't have ANY music or movies stored locally...because of 3G I can listen to my entire music collection from my home computer, and watch movies on netflix and hulu.

Yep, there you go. 3G comes in very handy. The ONLY time I use WiFi is at home. 3G may be slower but definitely safer when I'm out and about. Plus, no need for searching for good WiFi spots. It's just...BAM , it's on and I'm watching a basketball game while eating shrimp at Panda Express.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
In an interesting report this morning, a reputable Android app developer was shocked to find out that one of his apps was pulled by Google with no notice. he only found out because his royalties stopped coming in. When he tried to find out why, Google would not discuss it with him, and when he did get someone to talk, he was told he violated some rule, but not what rule, and that if he complained too much, or did it again, all his apps would be pulled. Talk about heavy handed! He is getting a coalition of android app developers together to force Google to listen to them.

Google pulled a ton of apps after they found about .26 million Android users were infected with 'THE MOTHER OF ALL MALWARE' that took over their phones by rooting them after downloading apps from the Android Marketplace in a review that began March 1, 2011

Google is using their own secret back door exploit they built into Android to root infected phones remotely so they can 'repair them'.

I am not comfortable with any ft this and I wonder if Android will ever be a really safe and secure platform. This could kill you if there was any really secrete or confidential information on your Android.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, like all those other posters said, ipad 1 & 2 are da bomb..lmao.
There are work arojnds for most ipad limitations. Thats why i jailbroke n got ifiles. With that, i can do anything as far as fi,e transfers or whatever without needing itunes. U want movies, netflix n xfinity app are great at streaming those things! I have camera connection kit and ifiles makes better use of that vs. Stock ipad. I love not needing to sync up to itunes unless acking up n upgrading os. Goodreader would also be ur best friend also. Luv da wrkarounds!

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the top! Ipad2 is onlya few days away. what u gonna do?

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not comfortable with any ft this and I wonder if Android will ever be a really safe and secure platform. This could kill you if there was any really secrete or confidential information on your Android.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
this was the fear from an article posted last month (i believe). with the fragmentation and the fact that phone mfg's are not updating android in a timely fashion most phones will not receive patches need to keep these types of situations from happening.

there are quite a few devices that aren't affected by rageinthecage's root exploit, thus some of the one-click rooting software didn't work. unless google comes up with a way to control upgrades like apple and windows does situations like this will become worse as android gains market share. samsung got into a stink with customers for not wanting to update the galaxy s and charging phone carriers for the update. that and the fact that updating the galaxy s would make it compete with the galaxy s 4g.

Most reactions

Latest posts