What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 hdmi output not displaying full screen on my hdtv?!

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I connect my iPad 2 to HDTV via the HDMI adapter, then how come the iPad doesn't take up all of the screen on the tv? On the left and right side of the tv, there is a good amount of unused screen space left. I tried changing the aspect ratio on my tv but it did not help.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on your resolution even laptops cannot display full screen unless they have a large video card. What size tv do you have and what are you playing on the iPad? I would use Apple tv and mirror the ipad2

Pommier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your HDTV is most likely 16:9. One of the criticisms of the iPAD that have been leveled is that it has the old 4:3 ratio (like old TV's). This is what you see on your TV. This is not the same as the HD in HDMI, which refers to high definition (resolution). Your still getting a high definition picture, but in a narrower aspect ratio.

OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pommier said:
Your HDTV is most likely 16:9. One of the criticisms of the iPAD that have been leveled is that it has the old 4:3 ratio (like old TV's). This is what you see on your TV. This is not the same as the HD in HDMI, which refers to high definition (resolution). Your still getting a high definition picture, but in a narrower aspect ratio.

Thank you for explaining this to me.

OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
It depends on your resolution even laptops cannot display full screen unless they have a large video card. What size tv do you have and what are you playing on the iPad? I would use Apple tv and mirror the ipad2

Thanks for responding. If you have a HDMI, try playing angry birds on the tv. Then right after that, play modern combat 3, which is optimized for HDMI.

Johnone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 2 hdmi output not displaying full screen on my hdtv?!

I have found that the BBC Iplayer shows full screen but ITV does not - is that an ITV issue.

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The exact ratio and 'unused space' seems to be application dependent. For example, Netflix fills my HDTV 1080 edge to edge, however iPlayer has the border already mentioned. This has got to be down the the developers of the Netflix/iPlayer apps. If Netflix supports 'full screen' why not the BBC?

Mirroring certainly doesn't fill 1080 edge to edge, but then again if it's trying to mirror the iPad's display(1024 by 768) this is not surprising.

Last edited:

cablematters.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Due to the resolution limit on iPad, it's almost impossible for you to mirroring the whole ipad screen to the big HDTV. But you can always get a full screen when you watch a movie(720P or 1080P)

testerx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I connect my iPad 2 to HDTV via the HDMI adapter, then how come the iPad doesn't take up all of the screen on the tv? On the left and right side of the tv, there is a good amount of unused screen space left. I tried changing the aspect ratio on my tv but it did not help.

Try this, open settings, open video and check this according to the manual.
Turn widescreen on or off: Choose Video and turn Widescreen on or off. If the video
you’re playing is in widescreen format, turning this on preserves the widescreen
aspect ratio.

Most reactions

Latest posts