What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 GSM / Unlocked

Galihad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody.......

I am new here so be easy on me :confused:

I am considering buying a new iPad 2 64 gig Unlocked. Trying to get educated on the pro's and con's of what advantages / disadvantages there are with unlocked system. Is it the same as jailbreak?

Can I use any carrier to access 3g network....(Verizon/AT&T)?
I am really trying to free up my options for 3g access.

Thank,
Galihad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U.S. iPads aren't locked. You can buy a wifi-only model or 3G model that's GSM or CDMA. The GSM one will let you switch out the SIM card. The CDMA one doesn't use a SIM card. Verizon is CDMA. AT&T is GSM.

Jailbreaking doesn't have to do with unlocking. There's a Hacking section on the forum, but since you don't know the difference between unlocked and jailbreaking, you might want to put the horse before the cart.

Last edited:

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody.......

I am new here so be easy on me :confused:

I am considering buying a new iPad 2 64 gig Unlocked. Trying to get educated on the pro's and con's of what advantages / disadvantages there are with unlocked system. Is it the same as jailbreak?

Can I use any carrier to access 3g network....(Verizon/AT&T)?
I am really trying to free up my options for 3g access.

Thank,
Galihad

Unlocked and jailbreak are two sort different concept...
Meanwhile the ipads in the United States are all unlocked.
Unlock means that you can use the network 3g or gsm all through the country with no limits...
Been jailbroken,you can process many kinds of devices you want,and custom desktop etc...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other issue if you decide to go with 3G is that the Verizon model of iPad won't work outside the US and a few other countries - the AT&T model will work world-wide. So, if you plan to use your iPad outside the US, go for AT&T. If not, you might want to view the respective carrier's coverage maps to see who has the best coverage for the areas that you're interested in.

Tim

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other issue if you decide to go with 3G is that the Verizon model of iPad won't work outside the US and a few other countries - the AT&T model will work world-wide. So, if you plan to use your iPad outside the US, go for AT&T. If not, you might want to view the respective carrier's coverage maps to see who has the best coverage for the areas that you're interested in.

Tim
IIRC GSM 3G only works stateside while on AT&T's network. If you plug in a T-Mobile SIM (for example) you only get Edge at best.

What about overseas? Can I get 3G from all GSM carriers?

Tnx,
J

ChaystEr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May i ask where will i base my 3g consumption on the cellular usage? On the sent or received stats? This is helpful to monitor if i already consumed the allotted MB of my internet usage, my data plans allocation is only 250MB per month. Thanks!

Thanks,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May i ask where will i base my 3g consumption on the cellular usage? On the sent or received stats? This is helpful to monitor if i already consumed the allotted MB of my internet usage, my data plans allocation is only 250MB per month. Thanks!

Thanks,

Add them both up, and that's your usage.

wxman2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IIRC GSM 3G only works stateside while on AT&T's network. If you plug in a T-Mobile SIM (for example) you only get Edge at best.

What about overseas? Can I get 3G from all GSM carriers?

Tnx,
J

Yes, you can get 3G on other GSM networks outside of the US.

Most reactions

Latest posts