What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 - GPS Function

jubsdell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good day all,

I am sure you might have had this question before but as a new user of iPad I need to understand if I have a faulty GPS chip or if there is something I do wrong?

I bought the iPad 2 about 3 weeks ago, Wi-Fi with 3G capability to use while flying with Air Nav Pro, this application makes use of the internal IMU and GPS to work out the route you have planned and to ensure proper navigation.

I used it once while flying and it seemed to have worked fine, but was unable to keep my eye on it all the time. Yesterday I decided to take it with while flying with the domestic carrier from Cape Town to Johannesburg to see how it works in real time, not having to focus on doing the flying myself.

I removed the Sim Card from the iPad as I had to leave it at home, but Nav pro seemed to be fine and was working well on the ground, giving me the longs and lats and rotating the chart as I moved, I found my seat in the aircraft very excited to see which track they would fly and the altitude, groundspeed and all the usual nonsense a pilot would love to see. We began our take-off roll at Cape Town and the iPad and Nav Pro seemed to be working fine, on the climb I could see the altitude increase as well as the ground speed creeping up. We made a right turn as anticipated on the flight path I plotted and at about 30nm outbound the GPS just stopped working??? No info just a black icon where the GPS info should be? Check the whole flight and nothing!!!

Landed at Johannesburg very upset as I was unable to see if my plotted track was the same as what they flew, and still the GPS icon remained black! Inside the terminal building I thought to check again and by some miracle the GPS was back? To keep the story short, I tested it on my second leg of traveling and the same thing happened?

Any logical explanation why this happen? Do I need to have the SIM card installed all the time? This just baffles my mind at the moment!

Would like to know if someone can help in this regard?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like NavPro cached enough data while you had a wifi signal, and stopped working once you had left the area covered in the cache.

When you landed you probably picked up a public wifi network that allowed the app to continue working.

So, yes. It looks like you need your SIM card installed, and hope that you get a carrier signal for enough time during the flight to update the cache.

OP
J

jubsdell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, I will test it again with the Sim Card installed, like you say, not to sure what kind of coverage one will have at 40 000 ft

Regards,

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I would have thought GPS would have kept working as you don't need a sim for this....
we do have some pilots here, I hope some use this app and will be able to help you.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would first test the function on the gps on the ground in a car. You can stop to make changes, to see if the sim card is really needed. I don't see why is would be as I used my wifi only iPad 2 with a gps reviewer connected over bluetooth. This worked very well. I had maps stored on my device.

So once the have demonstrated correct function on the ground, then you can test in flight.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jubsdell said:
Good day all,

I am sure you might have had this question before but as a new user of iPad I need to understand if I have a faulty GPS chip or if there is something I do wrong?

I bought the iPad 2 about 3 weeks ago, Wi-Fi with 3G capability to use while flying with Air Nav Pro, this application makes use of the internal IMU and GPS to work out the route you have planned and to ensure proper navigation.

I used it once while flying and it seemed to have worked fine, but was unable to keep my eye on it all the time. Yesterday I decided to take it with while flying with the domestic carrier from Cape Town to Johannesburg to see how it works in real time, not having to focus on doing the flying myself.

I removed the Sim Card from the iPad as I had to leave it at home, but Nav pro seemed to be fine and was working well on the ground, giving me the longs and lats and rotating the chart as I moved, I found my seat in the aircraft very excited to see which track they would fly and the altitude, groundspeed and all the usual nonsense a pilot would love to see. We began our take-off roll at Cape Town and the iPad and Nav Pro seemed to be working fine, on the climb I could see the altitude increase as well as the ground speed creeping up. We made a right turn as anticipated on the flight path I plotted and at about 30nm outbound the GPS just stopped working??? No info just a black icon where the GPS info should be? Check the whole flight and nothing!!!

Landed at Johannesburg very upset as I was unable to see if my plotted track was the same as what they flew, and still the GPS icon remained black! Inside the terminal building I thought to check again and by some miracle the GPS was back? To keep the story short, I tested it on my second leg of traveling and the same thing happened?

Any logical explanation why this happen? Do I need to have the SIM card installed all the time? This just baffles my mind at the moment!

Would like to know if someone can help in this regard?

Welcome fellow Capetonian,

Just checked the AppStore for the info on this app, where in the aircraft were you seated as the info maintains you need to have a good signal , ie be near the flight cockpit , I use my iPad and iPhone without 3G enabled to navigate all the time, the navigation app however needs to have an offline map, otherwise an Internet connection is required to update the map cache as you travel.
The nav tools I use are offline map capable, you can tell by the size if the app, 300-600MBytes, Air Nav Pro is only 39Mbytes, so to me it's missing maps, did you purchase a South Africa map?

Most reactions

Latest posts