What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 E-mail Froze

pete491

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a strange one. While attaching pictures to an e-mail with my iPad2 my e-mail app froze. I closed e-mail and restarted. When the e-mail page came up the screen was empty and unresponsive. After about 20 seconds the screen went black for a moment and the back to the desktop. If I go back to e-mail by double tapping the screen shows an empty desktop. I have rebooted a number of times and updated to a new version of ios. No help. I installed the Yahoo e-mail app so that I could get my e-mail which works just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted the other two posts on this same topic as multiple threads on the same topic can fragment any resulting conversation, making it hard to follow as well as being against our rules.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a strange one. While attaching pictures to an e-mail with my iPad2 my e-mail app froze. I closed e-mail and restarted. When the e-mail page came up the screen was empty and unresponsive. After about 20 seconds the screen went black for a moment and the back to the desktop. If I go back to e-mail by double tapping the screen shows an empty desktop. I have rebooted a number of times and updated to a new version of ios. No help. I installed the Yahoo e-mail app so that I could get my e-mail which works just fine.

Hi Pete - please provide the iOS version that is now installed on your iPad 2? Also by 'rebooted', do you mean simply restarting the device (i.e. w/ only the ON-OFF button) or a 'Reset', which is done by holding down both the ON-OFF and the HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears (then release both letting the iPad reboot) - if the latter was not done, then give the maneuver a try.

Also, sometimes deleting your mail account from the iOS mail app and adding it back might correct problems w/ the program - let us know - Dave :)

OP
P

pete491

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done the ON-Off HOME reset a couple of times. I have ios 8.2. I just deleted and added back in the e-mail account in Settings. Same issue. One other thing. The e-mail screen that comes up with no data no longer has a trash bin icon at the top. It has been replaced with what looks like a file box - strange.

Thanks!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have done the ON-Off HOME reset a couple of times. I have ios 8.2. I just deleted and added back in the e-mail account in Settings. Same issue. One other thing. The e-mail screen that comes up with no data no longer has a trash bin icon at the top. It has been replaced with what looks like a file box - strange.

Thanks!!
To get the trash icon back, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap the account, tap the email address and scroll to Advanced. Tap it, and in "Move discarded messages to", select "Deleted Mailbox".

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I feel your pain Pete. The exact thing happened to months or over a year ago. I tried everything to NO AVAIL!
I just ignore it now. Hey, here's something to think about....when the blank screen is there double click the home button to shut done your apps.
When you get to the Mail App even though you see an empty space, just swipe up as though you could see it! That actually is the ONLY way i have found to shut down the mail ! If you ever find a solution Pete, PLEASE post it here so I and others can do it and maybe get it to work! Thanks, Pete! [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

:) Peace begins with a smile :)
- Mother Teresa.
iPad 2

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks!!
If restoring didn't help, contact Apple to receive help, or visit an Apple Retail Store.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna. I went to the community support site. Explained the problems and added photo's of the problem. I also did a live chat in Apple Support.
It seems no one can either understand the issue or perhaps there just isn't any information available on this glitch yet.
Thanks again everyone for all of your suggestions.
Oh, I forget if I mentioned that I deleted all accounts except for iCloud. I don't use it for anything.
What happens if i delete that account as well?
Also, when I send a photo from the photo app it uses the mail app and it then works. As long as I don't access the mail app it seems other apps can use it and it actually works!
As for going to an Apple Store that just isn't possible for me. The closest store is about 45 min from my home and I am not supposed to travel that far ( including the trip back ).
always, xo Diane xo

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At least they know now that there's a member with Mail app problems. :) The more they are aware of, the better.

If you delete the iCloud account, your iPad won't back up to it. Afaik you use iCloud for your backups. You know how important it is to backup your device, in case you need to restore.

If you don't need the email account and some features of iCloud, go to Settings - iCloud and disable it there:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts