What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 durability?

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I have a WP7 by Samsung [the Focus] and it has Gorilla Glass. I am not surprised to hear that the IP2 has Gorilla Glass. When my iP2 arrives [supposed to be the EOM or so since I am getting it from an Apple Authorized Reseller, nearest Apple Store is 50 miles away], I plan to only use the Apple Black Leather cover. [the one with the magnets] The GGlass works well on my phone.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drop Testing

I did a drop Test by accident yesterday with my new iPad 2. While getting coffee I knocked off my new iPad 2 on the concrete floor from a counter that was about 3 foot high. Thankfully it didn't break.
I can imagine your heart skipped a beat or so. The engineer in me wants a bit more info about how it landed ... if possible.
- Did it land flat on back or face?
- Did it hit on a corner or full length on one of the edges?
- Did it fly a bit and drop with a glancing blow ... vs ... a straight vertical drop?

Really curious. Thanks

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More durability Testing

I swung a roofing hammer as hard as I could at my ipad 2, hit it dead center of the screen........ no breakage.... ever so slight scratch.

Was this action on purpose?
Where you on task to see just how durable your new tablet really was?
Or were you trying to smash a bug and your aim was off?

Wow

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SporkLover said:
I swung a roofing hammer as hard as I could at my ipad 2, hit it dead center of the screen........ no breakage.... ever so slight scratch.

And...you suppose Apple's R&D staff didn't think of doing something like that before giving the green light to go ahead and order a bazillion screens?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was a complete accident. I was watching a youtube video on how to install new shingles on a roof, and was just wasn't paying much attention to the roofing action.

Now I have a scratch on my iPad2 and my roof is no longer water proof.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was a complete accident. I was watching a youtube video on how to install new shingles on a roof, and was just wasn't paying much attention to the roofing action.

Well if you think that is bad, I got confused loading targets and somehow my iPad was launched into the air while I was skeet shooting. Took a hit from a Browning 12 gauge. Simply flipped over in the air and landed gracefully in a spot of grass. No damage aside from one pellet lodged in the headphone jack. Easily removed.

Michael

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple can't even get their iPhones to tell the right time, how can you trust them to make a thinner glass better. Me I think thinner glass = more breakage and cheaper for them.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Yes - the iFixit tear-down was very interesting - I'm a techie geek so I just love seeing the insides of these things. I'm the sort of guy who used to have silicon chip photomicrographs on my wall - oh, well, another era...

Yes - thinner glass - in fact, much thinner glass. What, of course, is not clear is whether the new glass is a stronger formulation. I'm sure that Apple must have thought long-and-hard about the possibility of a whole raft of iPad2 glass breakages hitting the news and what that would do to the reputation of the iPad2. I'm sure they've done extensive laboratory testing - drop testing, environmental chambers, vibration testing etc - it's 100% standard procedure for any new product and a company with Apple's reputation is not going to 'skimp' on this aspect of a new product. They know only too well that the iPad is going to be carried around in backpacks and shopping bags - some even without a protective case! So I wouldn't be too worried about this; as they say they'll 'have done their sums' and I'm sure we won't be reporting on screen breakages.

Now, of course, just to prove me wrong, we're going to get a whole bag of posts from Forum members who *have* broken their iPad screens....why can't I keep my mouth shut!!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well if you think that is bad, I got confused loading targets and somehow my iPad was launched into the air while I was skeet shooting. Took a hit from a Browning 12 gauge. Simply flipped over in the air and landed gracefully in a spot of grass. No damage aside from one pellet lodged in the headphone jack. Easily removed.

Michael

Michael! You never cease to amaze me.:)

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a drop Test by accident yesterday with my new iPad 2. While getting coffee I knocked off my new iPad 2 on the concrete floor from a counter that was about 3 foot high. Thankfully it didn't break.

Whoah!!! Glad nothing happened to it. Phew!

Quannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SporkLover said:

What......are u freaking nuts, shame on u ur grounded from the iPad give here....lol but serious y would u do that?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Oh yeah? Well, during last month's blizzard I was stranded on a mountain on the way home from work. I used my Hugo Boss tie to strap my iPad to my feet and snowboarded down. A strand of silk from the tie got wedged in the rotation lock switch, but the glass was fine. :D

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dudes - I fired a phaser on it full-on at Setting 16 until the phaser's energy banks ran down, and not a scratch. Glass was slightly warm to the touch, though.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I loaned my iPad to the Marines over the summer for use as a floating AV-8B Harrier mini platform base for ground support operations. Hundreds of sorties off and on the iPad. Not a single scratch or leak of water inside.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

That is some luck there!

Most reactions