What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 as a suppliment device for a college student?

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, on iPad 2, iOS runs almost instantaneously, there is almost no lag when switching between apps. Whereas on iPad 1, it always takes a few seconds to load the app, before it responds to any input. Another thing to consider is, that iPad 1 apps are prone to crash, when running low on memory. And websites get quickly cleared from the RAM, when another app is opened, as the device is running low on memory, meaning that you need to reload websites frequently. With iPad 2, this is less of an issue, as the doubled RAM really helps.

The camera is useful, if you want to import any printed document, but depending on your course, this may never be important for you.

I would definitely buy iPad 2 and a Zaggmate case, because multitasking works so much better.

zaggmate case! Great suggestion, looking to get somethng like that myself.

Edit: after searching zaggmate i found another similar case called Crux360 clamshell.

Last edited:

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the iPad can be a replacement device for a full operating system like windows or apple OSx. I had a windows tablet all last year for my classes and loved it. Took notes with a stylus and having a real keyboard is much better than trying to type something really long out on a virtual kb.

what windows tablet?

I had an older hp tc1100 which they have upgraded models of now. Having an actual writing utensil is so much more useful in class. You can take normal notes.. Draw good pictures of subject topics.. Much more useful in my opinion than the iPad for class... Except the iPad is just so cool, ha. But if you want something more useful I'd go for a tablet that you can write on with a stylus.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the iPad can be a replacement device for a full operating system like windows or apple OSx. I had a windows tablet all last year for my classes and loved it. Took notes with a stylus and having a real keyboard is much better than trying to type something really long out on a virtual kb.

what windows tablet?

I had an older hp tc1100 which they have upgraded models of now. Having an actual writing utensil is so much more useful in class. You can take normal notes.. Draw good pictures of subject topics.. Much more useful in my opinion than the iPad for class... Except the iPad is just so cool, ha. But if you want something more useful I'd go for a tablet that you can write on with a stylus.

you make a good point about note taking with a stylus

OP
T

tactK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great news guys! Thanks to your posts, i decided to order an ipad 2! I had a look at the zaggmate keyboard case and i like the design of it. Problem is the back of the ipad will be exposed. I am afraid to scratch it. Are there any other 2 in 1 cases that i could look at? Or maybe a workaround for that zaggmate case?

Im writing this on my phone in campus so i apologise that i might be late with my replies

Tom811

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use upad for taking hand written notes. It works great with a stylus.

thomkat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opted for an ipad2 for the same purpose (general college stuff). I have found it to be ideal for note taking, checking email, online textbooks, calendars, to do lists... It takes commitment to a degree, because it's not a laptop replacement.
Bluetooth keyboards speed things up with typing, but with time one can become surprisingly proficient with the onscreen keyboard.
It's perfect for college man!

Last edited:

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great! Now realize there is a lot more you can do in college than play with an iPad. Like meet women and get good at it. You won't have this great opportunity later on in life.
Being good at life is a lot more important in finding and keeping a good job than an education.

Last edited by a moderator:

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great news guys! Thanks to your posts, i decided to order an ipad 2! I had a look at the zaggmate keyboard case and i like the design of it. Problem is the back of the ipad will be exposed. I am afraid to scratch it. Are there any other 2 in 1 cases that i could look at? Or maybe a workaround for that zaggmate case?

Im writing this on my phone in campus so i apologise that i might be late with my replies

Crux360 clamshell - this one protects the back of iPad

Nickkrajacic7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on getting an iPad for school and what I plan on doing about the taking notes is to buy a wireless keyboard case off of ebay or amazon and use it almost like a laptop.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nickkrajacic7 said:
I plan on getting an iPad for school and what I plan on doing about the taking notes is to buy a wireless keyboard case off of ebay or amazon and use it almost like a laptop.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hello Nickkrajacic7! If you haven't yet bought your iPad2, please check out your school's bookstore. I am a part time student at my local University here in Fort Wayne, Indiana--I was looking for some supplies, when I came across Apple's Education kiosk. My bookstore offered a discount of @ least US$60 off the 16Gig, Wifi Ipad and an additional US$10 off larger storage capacity iPads. Accessories were also discounted--including Apple's keyboard. Don't quote me on exact discounts, since I already owned an iPad2, I wasn't really buying. Although I was tempted!

Most reactions

Latest posts