What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 and iPhone Shipments Possibly Affected by Labour and Parts Shortages

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_display.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today on a story in DigiTimes which says that the paper has heard from Apple’s supply chain that iPad 2 and iPhone 4 shipments in Q2 could be affected by shortages in labour and materials at Foxconn’s plants in Chengdu, China. Although, as 9to5 Mac points out, most iPad 2 parts come from Foxconn’s other plant in Shenzen, DigiTimes says that Apple will not be too pleased with shortages in the supply chain, as it has been pushing its suppliers hard so that it can ship 10-10.5 million units in the second quarter in order to keep up with its shipment goal of 35-40 million iPad 2s for 2011. 9to5 Mac notes that the iPad 2 still has its shipping time listed as 1-2 weeks in the online Apple Store, indicating that there may well be some problems with supply meeting demand.

Source: DigiTimes: Labor and materials shortage could affect iPad, iPhone shipments in Q2 | 9 to 5 Mac DigiTimes: Labor and materials shortage could affect iPad, iPhone shipments in Q2 | Apple Intelligence

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i hope this doesnt cause a big problem. i wanna order my ipad within the next week or two and not experience such a big delay lol

Chiups

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ordered mine of the 5th and its not getting here till the 25th. So there will definitely be a delay. Order it asap. :)

ichee84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I lucked out today. Called the nearby Apple Store and asked if they had any 16gb wifi in stock. Girl told me we just received a limited quantity. I took an early lunch and was at the store 10 mins after the call. I got one of the last 2. I couldn't believe there would be that many people there on Monday morning.
I guess it's hit or miss. GL

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ichee84 said:
I lucked out today. Called the nearby Apple Store and asked if they had any 16gb wifi in stock. Girl told me we just received a limited quantity. I took an early lunch and was at the store 10 mins after the call. I got one of the last 2. I couldn't believe there would be that many people there on Monday morning.
I guess it's hit or miss. GL

Try John Lewis if you live in the UK.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Ordered mine online on the 5th, which really turned out to be the 7th. Initial date was delivery on the 25th of May which was just changed to the 2nd of June. I called the Apple store today to ask why the website for the on-line store still says 2-3 weeks when clearly that is not the case. It is really 4-5 weeks from ordering to delivery but unless you are extremely lucky the stores don't have any stock either.

I'm impatient. I want it now.

Chiups

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I know the feeling I ordered two, both on the 5th, both were forecasted to be delivered on the 25. One is on its way to my house, and the other is still saying "prepared for shipment". I don't get it.

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered mine from a local very large store (Heard of Nebraska Furniture Mart?) because the wait time was much less than ordering from Apple or any other retailer. They only have 64GB Verizon iPad2's in stock and they are receiving a new shipment on May 25th. I'm supposed to pick up my order on May 27th. Here's hoping that they actually get their order on time!

Chiups

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dee Ashley said:
Ordered mine online on the 5th, which really turned out to be the 7th. Initial date was delivery on the 25th of May which was just changed to the 2nd of June. I called the Apple store today to ask why the website for the on-line store still says 2-3 weeks when clearly that is not the case. It is really 4-5 weeks from ordering to delivery but unless you are extremely lucky the stores don't have any stock either.

I'm impatient. I want it now.

I just had the same thing happen to me. Kind of unprofessional of you ask me.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chiups said:
I just had the same thing happen to me. Kind of unprofessional of you ask me.

No, the shipping date is just an estimate, and subject to real-world supply and demand fluctuations. I'm not sure what else they can do.

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dang I guess I lucked out then. After researching for a while I finally decided on the iPad2. I went to a few brick and mortar stores in my area..yeah that was futile. None had any clue when they were getting in a shipment either. Luckily I live in Boston so there are 5 apple stores in my area and the first one I called just got a shipment in that day so I went down and scarfed one up. By the time I got there they only had 1 black ipad2 16gb left....just what I wanted..lol

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dang I guess I lucked out then. After researching for a while I finally decided on the iPad2. I went to a few brick and mortar stores in my area..yeah that was futile. None had any clue when they were getting in a shipment either. Luckily I live in Boston so there are 5 apple stores in my area and the first one I called just got a shipment in that day so I went down and scarfed one up. By the time I got there they only had 1 black ipad2 16gb left....just what I wanted..lol

Wow...shoulda bought a lottery ticket too! :p

Right now (at least in my area), you'd probably be more likely to win the lottery than find an iPad2 on shelves - especially a 16GB. I was informed by pretty much every electronics store in my area that the 16GB goes first.

willtrvl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reserved mime at best buy on April 23rd and finally got a call it was in on May 20th. It seemed like forever but I'm starting to hear longer stories..

doubleR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
otacon said:

Exact same thing. Had one left. Black iPad2 16 gb. One I wanted and could afford. Snatched it up. =)

Most reactions

Latest posts