What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 and iOS 9

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated my iPad 2 last night and so far have found no problems at all. Only took about 30 minutes to install.
Hoping there's not some nasty surprise lurking that I haven't stumbled on yet!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just finished updating my iPad 2 to iOS 9 and have noticed no problems so far.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everybody's heard that the new news app is U.S. only for now. I live in Canada so imagine my surprise when I was looking in settings after updating to iOS 9 on my iPad 2.
In iCloud I found a switch for news. I turned it on and the news app icon appeared on my home screen. I opened the app and was able to set it up and start reading news articles. Here are some screenshots for those who have not yet seen the new news app.
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

None of my other devices have the news app, just my 4 year old iPad 2.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed that scrolling and swiping between home pages is slightly hesitant, not as smooth as my newer iPads.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is weird as I live in Canada as well and have no News option in my iCloud,
I've just solved the mystery. I went to Settings>General>Region and my region had somehow been changed to United States without me doing it. Try setting your region to United States and see if you can see and use the News app.

OP
Brian 244

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just solved the mystery. I went to Settings>General>Region and my region had somehow been changed to United States without me doing it. Try setting your region to United States and see if you can see and use the News app.

I did switch to US with the same results. Thanks for the info.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried it with my iPad Air 2, it didn't work. News showed up in iCloud but no app appeared on the home screen. When I get the chance I'll try it with my iPad 3 and iPad 4.

n1smo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been running iOS 9 on the iPad 2 for a day and I like it. Seems much smoother than iOS 8 ever was. The only feature missing from the newer machines that I wished it had is Safari native support for ad blockers. But I run Weblock on this machine so no big loss. There was no way the iPad 2 would have been able to handle any of the new multitasking features of iOS 9 due to the lack of horsepower so no big surprises there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mostly I like it save for one really bad feature, (glitch?) when deleting your search history. Instead of just clearing the days history it's wiping all cookies and data without even having an option for just deleting your search history. I'm having to sign back in numerous times and constantly reset my Bing perimeters. Just go to delete your history and you'll see it.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mostly I like it save for one really bad feature, (glitch?) when deleting your search history. Instead of just clearing the days history it's wiping all cookies and data without even having an option for just deleting your search history. I'm having to sign back in numerous times and constantly reset my Bing perimeters. Just go to delete your history and you'll see it.
Yeah, I used to use that feature to clear Safari history in iOS 8, which left my cookies and data intact. This feature now clears everything, including cookies and data, in iOS 9. It took me a few instances to figure that out.

Most reactions