What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 12.9 Case that allows for Smart Connector

sethym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a certain protective case for my iPad Pro 12.9 that may not yet exist, please respond if you know of one that fits this description:
- I'd like to use the Apple Smart Keyboard, or any other keyboard that connects with the Smart Connector on the side of the iPad; don't want Bluetooth or other keyboard with batteries that must be recharged.
- Back protection and holding strap: The Apple Smart Keyboard covers the screen when closed, but the back is exposed. I want a leather or plastic back protector that has a full opening on the one side to accept the Smart Connector slip-in without removal.
Also, when using this large iPad in hand-held mode (sans keyboard,) I find the metal back to be very slippery, making it hard to cradle it in your left hand while tapping/swiping the screen with your right, without the iPad slipping & falling. Of course, you can clamp your hand/thumb tight around one side of the iPad, but I prefer a wide elastic band permanently attached to the back (like my Moko iPad 2 case had,) to slip your hand through for secure holding.

Any case company making this??

P.S.: I did look through the master sticky thread for iPad Pro accessories, didn't see this yet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple's case for the 12.9" iPad Pro is compatible with the Smart Keyboard. The case is silicone, which makes it grippier, but no strap or other handle. I remember seing a couple more on the market, but don't remember the names or brands.

Silicone Case for 12.9-inch iPad Pro - Charcoal Gray

I remember seing a couple more on the market, but don't remember the names or brands.

I have the Smart Keyboard, but don't use a case.

OP
S

sethym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet:
Yes, that Apple case is compatible w/Smart Keyboard, but it's $79! For a piece of molded silicone! Probably costs Apple just a few dollars to produce. I can afford it, but that price just galls me a bit too much to buy it. And of course, no handle.
LMK if you remember those other ones on the market. Thanks

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet:
Yes, that Apple case is compatible w/Smart Keyboard, but it's $79! For a piece of molded silicone! Probably costs Apple just a few dollars to produce. I can afford it, but that price just galls me a bit too much to buy it. And of course, no handle.
LMK if you remember those other ones on the market. Thanks
Thought I would mention I just found s back cover from ESR on Amazon for $13.99 that everyone says works perfectly with Smart Keyboard. I'm still deciding (after over a year with Ipad Pro) what keyboard case I am going to buy.

Most reactions