What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 Original - Boot Loop Question

rfdes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi -
I am attempting bring an ipad 1 back to life. This unit was purchased by my father and it probably was used a total to 6 times before he lost interest. Therefore, it has sat sad and lonely for all these years. When I tried to get the battery recharged, the unit goes into the boot loop that I have read about. i.e. when the charger is plugged in, the Apple log appears on the screen for about 5-10 secs, goes black, then repeats. I did some reading where others reported this problem but the solutions suggested have not worked for me. In particular, the premise is get the battery to take *some* charge by using the power button/home button to reset the unit. Repeating over and over until enough charge has been established to allow proper shutdown. I've had no luck getting the unit to accept any charge.

I've noticed that the boot loop occurs when I am using the default, 10W charger, however if I plug the unit in a PC this boot loop does not occur. I am able to force the unit into the recovery mode by pressing the home button while plugging in the charger connector. The iTunes logo appears, however, when I attempt to plug the USB connector into the computer the system shuts down again due to no battery.

So, before I go forward with a battery change out , I want to make totally sure that the battery is shot before I tear into the unit. I already have in my possession a new battery and will go at it myself once I've exhausted all my other options. Any other tips that anyone knows to verify that the battery needs to be changed?
Thanks
Jim
Largo, Florida

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you live close enough to an Apple Store you could take it in for a Genius Bar appointment. They can run a full diagnostic and tell you exactly what's wrong.

OP
R

rfdes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 1st gen ipad is 9 years old now so odds are it is the battery. But there’s no way to be certain until you try a different battery. The 1st gen ipad is a huge pain in the ass to remove the screen though.

That is certainly my thought as well. Not looking forward to it but I really have nothing to lose. Thanks for the input.

OP
R

rfdes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you live close enough to an Apple Store you could take it in for a Genius Bar appointment. They can run a full diagnostic and tell you exactly what's wrong.

Thanks. I may just do that.
Take care

Most reactions

Latest posts