What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 not giving option for upgrade ios6 ?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just get frustrated by this poorly informed assumption that somehow these devices are miraculously obsolete and uselss now.

Many of the Apps in the apps store, even new ones, are compatible all the way back to IOS3 or 4, and that includes devices such as the poor old iPhone3G.
That device is still in use by millions of people and the last version of IOS for it was 4.x. Look at my sig - I still have one running 3.1.3 and use it regularly!

All devices have an end of life, but the iPad1 is far from its own end. 5.1.1 was the "current" version of IOS just 2 weeks ago, and it will contiune to run with more than 99% (my own estimate) of apps in the app store for several years yet...

Personally it seems to me that you are much more likely to retire your own iPad1 at some point in the future than you are to be forced to retire it by Apple through their decision not to push IOS6 to it. :D

wjb216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gedansky said:
Maybe I have a different perspective because I bought my iPad 1 a few months after the two came out, knowing I was buying yesterday's tech. But, it is still in brand new condition, under Apple care, and running 5.1.1 like some of you.

I understand that this is the new world of disposable electronics, with 2 year life cycles vs 3-5 years.

My suspicion is this... soon, there will be no more support for 5.1.1, and iPad 1 users will have a choice 1) jailbreak and rely on 3rd party support, which is a very simple (for non techies) and very viable solution, or upgrade. I hope to get another year, or so, out of my ipad.

Whatever any of you choose to do, it's important to understand that this is not personal, and it's not money grubbing. It's business and it's progress. The annual ipad release isn't geared towards existing ipad users, it is for whomever hasn't bought one yet. We are just a bonus. But, we have to understand that they can't support us forever. If we don't want to upgrade, we need to support ourselves, and live with the limitations of our devices.

You are half right! Technology is moving faster and the life cycle of electronic products is getting shorter. However, making the decision not to support a $600+ product that is less then 2 years old and owned by millions of customers is, pure and simple, money grubbing! Do you seriously think Apple made that decision in your best interests?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are half right! Technology is moving faster and the life cycle of electronic products is getting shorter. However, making the decision not to support a $600+ product that is less then 2 years old and owned by millions of customers is, pure and simple, money grubbing! Do you seriously think Apple made that decision in your best interests?

Apple has not removed support for iPad 1. It is simply not updating the OS on that device, because many of the updates will not work well because of the older hardware. This is not the same thing as not supporting it. If you have a problem, you can still go to any Apple store and get support for your problem. When we each bought our iPads, there was no promise of ever getting an updated OS. Even users with the 2012 iPad will eventually find there will be no updates to the OS. That is the way of things.

And yes, Apple did make the decision not to move iPad 1 owners to iOS6 in the best interest of their customers, because doing so will ruin their experience.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm calling Bravo Sierra on that statement, for the simple reason that the iPhone 3gs supports iOS 6 (which has inferior specs), and the iPhone 4 gets it (which has near equal specs).

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Munky said:
I'm calling Bravo Sierra on that statement, for the simple reason that the iPhone 3gs supports iOS 6 (which has inferior specs), and the iPhone 4 gets it (which has near equal specs).

I'm going to refer back or AQ_OC on this one. I've had my device since 4.3.3 and it ran great up to 4.3.5. Now, under 5.1.1, It takes a lot of attention, closing apps and doing soft resets, to keep it from slowing to a virtual crawl, complete with delays in typing.

And, I bought my wife the new iPhone 4, running iOS 5, which was re released last year as an entry level iPhone. It ran so slowly that her pop up after keyboard images stuck like old typewriter keys.

IOS 6 would not be a friend to the iPad 1

Last edited:

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Apple has not removed support for iPad 1. It is simply not updating the OS on that device, because many of the updates will not work well because of the older hardware. This is not the same thing as not supporting it. If you have a problem, you can still go to any Apple store and get support for your problem. When we each bought our iPads, there was no promise of ever getting an updated OS. Even users with the 2012 iPad will eventually find there will be no updates to the OS. That is the way of things.

And yes, Apple did make the decision not to move iPad 1 owners to iOS6 in the best interest of their customers, because doing so will ruin their experience.

Much better choice of words! Also, consider this before we make Apple out to be the big, bad, tech box store... There are dozens of Android phones out there, most of which never see an update. Only 16 percent of all Android devices have made it to ICS (android 4.1) which is last year's version upgrade. That's not actual devices, it's past models that continued to be supported. I have seen many Android devices, some of which were supposed to be Super Phones, declared EOL in under 2 years, and there is no excuse for it. So, I am happy to have gotten the updates I did for my iPad 1, and I am more motivated to buy Apple.

Last edited:

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is also running 5.1.1, jailbroken, with a lot of tweaks installed and I almost never have app crashing or slow down issues and I still get 8-10 hours of battery life also. So don't tell me that it can't handle it.

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Munky said:
My iPad is also running 5.1.1, jailbroken, with a lot of tweaks installed and I almost never have app crashing or slow down issues and I still get 8-10 hours of battery life also. So don't tell me that it can't handle it.

Not everyone wants or knows how to jailbreak.

So, what tweaks are you running? I'm jail broken but my device does freeze up and slow down, somewhat regularly, and I'm not getting 8 to 10 hours out of battery.

Last edited:

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Ipad1 and use mine everyday and its still working fine at the moment and all the apps seem to be working.I don't think that i will be upgrading soon either there no really point in it really as long as the apps are working on mine I am not really bothered.When most of the Apps have stopped working then I will think about upgrading to a new iPad.Buying a new iPad every year in my eyes is just silly you are losing so much money every year and apple are just getting richer every year.just say you are only getting half your money back at the end of the year you still have to find that money to put to the next iPad.Anyway the battery in the iPad is good for 1000 charges so if you charged it every day then it would last for three years if you were using it every year so you might as well get the use out of the battery if anything.I really couldn't see the point in buying iPad 2 when it came out or even iPad 3 when it came out there just wasn't that much of a leap to say that is worth they money to be spending on a new device.I watch a lot of TV Series & Films on my iPad so if they maybe they made the screen wider in New iPad then maybe i might upgrade but that would be worth it for me because I am always watching something so i can see the point in spending the money but retina was just a waste of money i thought.Well going by iPhone 5 with the bigger screen what normally happens with apple pattern they normally make charges to there smaller devices and then make the changes to the bigger devices later so finger crossed we might see a change in the New iPad.Of coarse don't take my judgement gossip who know what apple have planned for us this year or the coming years.

Time will Tell !!!

Most reactions