What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 First Impressions

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, it's not bad bit I can see plenty of room for improvement. The download and install went off without a hitch or hiccup, albeit it took HOURS die to my incredibly slowwww DSL connection.

Observations:

1) LOVE the split keyboard. However...the keys are a bit small for my thumbs. Even in landscape mode. I wish its size could be user-adjustable. Also, it has a tendency to default its position to the center of the screen as opposed to where I positioned it earlier (I like the two halves of the keyboard occupying the bottom corners where it's also easier for me to hold the iPad at the same time.

2) I like the fully customizable new notifications settings. However...no weather or stocks widget (the latter I could care less about).

3) No camera button in the lock screen. Just because it's not an iPhone and it does not have a really good camera it doesn't mean people won't take pictures with the iPad. The quick access to the camera function would be nice.

4) Safari runs faster, which is good. Still trying to get used to the tabs; also nice. The "reader" function is really cool.

5) Siri would've been awesome on the iPad, too.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Poisonivy, can you please elaborate on the "4 or 5 fingers" feature? i can swipe up and down and left and right thru screens with "1 finger" so what are u on about? Thanks.

I think you're talking about scrolling within one app. You know how when you double-tap the Home button and you can see all of the apps you had open recently, and you can touch them to go back? With iOS5, you just do a 4-finger swipe and go from app to app.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Poisonivy, can you please elaborate on the "4 or 5 fingers" feature? i can swipe up and down and left and right thru screens with "1 finger" so what are u on about? Thanks.
In settings and gestures it says use 4 or 5 fingers,it didnt work for me with one,wonder what others are using,nope just tried it again,only works with 4 or 5, thats odd then.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overall, iOS 5 is funny. I love that text don't ruin everything anymore. Swipe down bar is cool on phone. Gay on iPad 2. Melti gestures is fun. I kinda wish you could manipulate them. It's somewhat awkward to grope my screen.

Feature I love is in accessibility on iPhone. Ability to make ur own vibrations. Awesome! Gotta get the swing though. As with any iOS, it has plenty of room to grow, and I can't wait to see what apple plans to do.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the reader function everyone keeps talking about?

I agree.. Siri would've been amazing in the iPad, but it's just something to look forward to on the 4S, I guess. I bet the iPad 3s have it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's the reader function everyone keeps talking about?

I agree.. Siri would've been amazing in the iPad, but it's just something to look forward to on the 4S, I guess. I bet the iPad 3s have it.

For the Reader function: When you are in Safari (and it's at a site it can optimize) - you will see the word "Reader" in your URL bar. Pressing on that brings up a pop-up which will only contain the text of the site you are at. IOW, all the ads and extra stuff is stripped away, you see only pure text. Plus, you can increase the font and it will reflow, so it's good for "old" eyes!

Give it a look - it's one of my favorite new Safari features.

Marilyn

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Either I haven't found a website that it can optimize or I'm missing something. :( But thanks for explaining!

iPad_Lover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
Either I haven't found a website that it can optimize or I'm missing something. :( But thanks for explaining!

Reader usually comes up on articles. Like it wouldn't work on a regular website, but when I was reading a review on CNN about Siri, reader popped up. It all really depends I guess. I tried it and it's awesome! Now I can actually FOCUS on the article ;)

<3Olivia Sent from my iPod Touch 4g

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of cool stuff. Changed the language for a minute an couldn't get it back to English.....lol. But I got it back. Pretty cool stuff to mess around with.

OP
riki

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
I think you're talking about scrolling within one app. You know how when you double-tap the Home button and you can see all of the apps you had open recently, and you can touch them to go back? With iOS5, you just do a 4-finger swipe and go from app to app.

OK, thanks.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks.
cool,i really like the gestures,have u tried the 5 finger pinch that takes you back to the home sreen?saves wear and tear on your home button.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's everywhere. Whenever you come across a word, on a webpage, document, wherever, you put you finger on it, and hold down. A little mini menu pops up with copy or define on it. Press define, and the definition pops up.
does that only work on iPad? tried it on my mbp but nothing happened.

Most reactions

Latest posts