What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS has security problem?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But guess what?
The jailbreakers, (comex), already made a patch for it. Jailbreak and download it. :D

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's probably the built-in hole that allows the US government to spy on all iOS users.

Why worry about it, we've got nothing to hide........right?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog said:
That's probably the built-in hole that allows the US government to spy on all iOS users.

I wouldn't doubt it. Edited on request by another moderator - political comment

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine I'm alone in thinking that the idea that I have to go to the length of jail breaking a perfectly good device to get security is a bit disconcerting.:(

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But guess what?
The jailbreakers, (comex), already made a patch for it. Jailbreak and download it. :D

Just saw Maura's post on Apple's response to this. If I read her post correctly, what you're saying is the good folks at Comex have come up with a patch for the vulnerability they exploited to be able to jailbreak to begin with? LOL

wheems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:
I can't imagine I'm alone in thinking that the idea that I have to go to the length of jail breaking a perfectly good device to get security is a bit disconcerting.:(

Nope. You're not alone.
It's a bit upside-down, no? :/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
idave23 said:

Pretty much by definition every jailbreak method is a security hole, and the ones that work convieniently through a web page have always been a source of potential abuse. If people are not freaking out it is because its simply old news repackaged by a government (who are as usual months behind in recognizing the issue).

And the iPhone is hardly alone. Most android devices are subject to similar security holes that can be exploited. In both cases it is a matter of waiting for the next OS update, which will probably plug the hole while at the same time causing howles of frustration from jailbreakers.

The good/bad news (depending on whether you want to jailbreak) is that the incremetal updates that iOS 5 will bring with it will make it easier for Apple to plug security holes faster. Whether they will do so only time will tell.

wheems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Pretty much by definition every jailbreak method is a security hole, and the ones that work convieniently through a web page have always been a source of potential abuse. If people are not freaking out it is because its simply old news repackaged by a government (who are as usual months behind in recognizing the issue).

And the iPhone is hardly alone. Most android devices are subject to similar security holes that can be exploited. In both cases it is a matter of waiting for the next OS update, which will probably plug the hole while at the same time causing howles of frustration from jailbreakers.

The good/bad news (depending on whether you want to jailbreak) is that the incremetal updates that iOS 5 will bring with it will make it easier for Apple to plug security holes faster. Whether they will do so only time will tell.

Well that was glaringly obvious -- and really, it's the obvious that eludes me. :)
There would *have to be* a vulnerability to exploit, else no JB (past, present, and future)
Duh.
*smacks forehead*

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well that was glaringly obvious -- and really, it's the obvious that eludes me. :)
There would *have to be* a vulnerability to exploit, else no JB (past, present, and future)
Duh.
*smacks forehead*

I specialize in obvious. It's less work. ;)

Well, most of the time. The other day I pointed at at cell phone tower and said "Wow, when did that go up? No wonder I get great reception here." This tower is about an eighth of mile from where I live. It's been there for over a year, and clearly visible from my trailer. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts