What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8 can not be installed on my iPad mini

Usmanafzali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I tried to download and install iOS 8 on my device several times.. it would download but could not be installed.. whats the solution? i tried it over wifi

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a special reason why it can't be installed?

On my Air, the "Install" button was greyed out after downloading, so I closed and force closed Settings, and then it was working. Is your issue different?

Edit:
You could also try updating using iTunes on your computer.

Last edited:

Flashfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have enough free memory on your iPad Mini? You description seems to match what others are seeing when they try to update their device but they don't have enough free memory. This iOS 8 update is huge.

As a FYI, I had no problems whatsoever updating my 64GB iPad Mini to iOS 8..

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Issues are users whom have 16 gb and or 32 but no space. If that is the case the option recommended is to upgrade via iTunes

To clarify for our readers, Col is referring to the Update feature in iTunes, not the Restore. One basically "patches" over your current iOS without having to download a delta and extracting it on your device (which is the problem for lower capacity devices since it requires about 3-5GB to perform) and also retains the data on your device (though you should always backup prior to updating your iOS at any time). The latter will wipe your device completely and install a fresh copy of iOS, both are different from one another. The first is what you want to do.

The download that follows by clicking the Check for Update is basically what you're downloading onto your device via OTA update. Alternatively, if you have the iOS 8 firmware file (IPSW) downloaded already on your computer, you can Shift/Command + Click the Check for Updates button, and point it to the IPSW to avoid having to redownload the firmware.

Most reactions