What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.1.1 Unable to Save Attachments

Greg Doyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad2 with latest IOS. I'm unable to save attachments: when I press on the attachment icon (e.g. a PDF), after a while I see the save options (Ibooks etc.) flash on the screen but then disappear. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, give these usual fixes a try.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7 & 8: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
G

Greg Doyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have not done so, give these usual fixes a try.

The Usual Fixes

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7 & 8: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

I tried the usual fixes to no avail.... thanks though

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to these fixes sir. These fixes work for me. :)
So fixes like these work for you and I can only assume your iPad2 is running nicely now after adopting these fixes.
So, just wondering why you would at the same time make a post saying "I do feel the same way. It's not worth to upgrade/update" in this thread (iPad General Discussions)
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/so-disappointed-after-upgrading-to-ios8-1.125343/
Hard to decipher what you are saying, frankly.
Andrew

OP
G

Greg Doyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Darn.

What app are you using. If Mail, what kind of email account, and do you have more than one Mail account so you can try it with both accounts (to eliminate one variable).

Using Mail.... it's a Comcast email account. I tried Gmail, and when I depress the attachment icon I do get options that stay on the screen but not "save" options .. instead: Open/Open in New Tab/Add to Reading List/Copy

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Using Mail.... it's a Comcast email account. I tried Gmail, and when I depress the attachment icon I do get options that stay on the screen but not "save" options .. instead: Open/Open in New Tab/Add to Reading List/Copy

That sounds more like a link to a PDF than an actual attachment. Tapping on it in Mail should open it in preview mode, or perhaps in Safari.

If if it opens in preview mode, once the PDF is displayed tap in the center of the screen to see the Open In options (top right). Use the default (probably iBooks) or the generic Open In to choose another app.

If it opens in Safari, use the box-with-up-arrow icon to choose your app, or the generic Open In in the bottom row of icons.

Still guessing here, so if those don't work let me know the results and any more details you can think of.

Most reactions

Latest posts