What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7.0.4 is out now

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It really ticks me off that it downloads all by itself. I would really like to download it when and if I want to.

I turned on my iPad and a few minutes later there was a pop-up telling me that it was downloaded.

Is there something that I can do so that I have control over downloads?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It really ticks me off that it downloads all by itself. I would really like to download it when and if I want to. I turned on my iPad and a few minutes later there was a pop-up telling me that it was downloaded. Is there something that I can do so that I have control over downloads?
if your iPad is connected to WiFi and plugged into the charger, iOS updates will automatically download onto your device. The updates will not automatically install themselves onto your device, you have to manually choose to tap the install button.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
if your iPad is connected to WiFi and plugged into the charger, iOS updates will automatically download onto your device. The updates will not automatically install themselves onto your device, you have to manually choose to tap the install button.

That's the pits!

I don't have an unlimited plan. I resent Apple taking it for granted that it can just download and use up my allotment. Thank goodness this one was not very big, but the first 7.0 was huge. I did not even know that another update was coming!

Thanks for the info.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the pits! I don't have an unlimited plan. I resent Apple taking it for granted that it can just download and use up my allotment. Thank goodness this one was not very big, but the first 7.0 was huge. I did not even know that another update was coming! Thanks for the info.
It won't use any data plan minutes as you have to be on WiFi for the download to take place.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about making sure you do your downloads at night when your bonus bytes are in effect?

You do not seem to understand. I usually do downloads during the free download time, BUT I cannot do that when Apple automatically does the download without my knowledge.

I did not know that there was a new update. I did not start the download. Apple automatically downloaded the update.

I just want the ability to choose when an update will be downloaded.

If I knew that the update was downloading, I would have to disconnect my wifi and wait until the free download time. I would not be able to use my iPad on the Internet while I was waiting for the free download time because you cannot pause the download.

Do you understand now?

The update downloaded automatically. When it was done, there was a pop-up telling me that there was a download to install.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about turning off the WiFi on your iPad whenever you're charging it. Since you have no control over when Apple releases iOS updates, this would be the only way to stop it from downloading until you're ready to do it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The conditions necessary for an automatic update are being on the wi-fi network, the iPad is locked (asleep), and the power is plugged in. All I can suggest is that you avoid plugging the iPad into power during day (non-prime) hours if you are not actually using it. Depending on your use habits this could be anything from a minor inconvenience to impossible.

Also, make sure you've gone to Settings > iTunes & App Store and turned off Updates. This does not affect system updates, but can prevent apps from downloading when you are not ready for them. You should probably turn off all those switches.

Another possibility is Weblock - Adblocker. This app came up in a different thread, but it could, in theory, be used to block updates. If you can figure out what URL they come from. Blocking all of Apple's domains would not work well, since the iPad does several necessary things with those servers, but some research would probably pinpoint the URL's that do updates.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How about turning off the WiFi on your iPad whenever you're charging it. Since you have no control over when Apple releases iOS updates, this would be the only way to stop it from downloading until you're ready to do it.

Probably the better, more flexible, solution than my don't-plug-it-in suggestion.

We understand that none of this is ideal. Just trying to help you cope with the situation with what's possible.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pretty sure it happened for iOS 6 too. If you hop right on the update and do it manually as soon as you hear about it, you'll probably never see it.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet.
Thank's for the tip about doing a reset before doing the update.
It makes big sense.

Most reactions

Latest posts