What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 Update Question About GPS & Maps?

G

Grytpype

If you have a WiFi-only iPad, you could use a plug-in GPS unit such as the Bad Elf.

There are other units that connect by Bluetooth. My iPad has 3G so I haven't tried any of these options, but I have heard they work pretty well.

As for other off-line map options, there are plenty of them around, such as Open Street Maps etc. Quality/choice/availability depends on which country you are in, but one way or another you should be able to get good coverage. Unfortunately you can't download Google Maps for off-line use, but Bing is second-best (MUCH better than Apple Maps).

Don't hold your breath waiting for Apple Maps to improve. It will take them YEARS to catch up to where Google is now, even if they throw billions of $$$ at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grytpype

BTW, if you use the MotionX GPS HD app I mentioned in post #6 above, you can download Bing's satellite maps as well as road/street ones. It is the only app (AFAIK) that lets you download sat maps for offline use.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's right, but the choice is yours. iTunes cannot force you to update, and neither can your iPad. It will stay on its present version until you choose to update. Maps will improve over time, and ios6 won't go away. You have all the time you want to make your decision. Of course, having made the decision to update, there's no going back.

Thanks for the help. IF I choose to always update iTunes to any current version available, will that have any effect on my iPad staying at this current version pre-IOS6? The reason I'm asking is that I have a ton of music in iTunes but have never transferred it to my iPad & I plan to get the new iPod Touch next month primarily for my music collection. Would I still be able to choose a few selected songs from iTunes (at the latest version) to send to my iPad without updating my iPad to IOS6? Please excuse all of my newbie questions... :eek:

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This screenshot shows the LandTrackerPro app, with the new iOS6 maps. It's not too bad.

View attachment 25998

Will this or any other Apple Map work "off-line" after iOS6 update with my iPad3 4g as it does currently with google maps working offline using the internal gps chip?

Thanks..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are various navigation apps that allow you to download maps for offline use with the built in GPS in the wifi+ cellular iPad 3's. I use Navigon, a Garmin app. As to the missing YouTube app in iOS 6, there is a YouTube app in the App Store available as a free download. It's the iPhone version but will work on the iPad. A iPad optimized app is in the works.
Google also has a maps app in development at this time that will be coming to the App Store.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
wvkawboy said:
Thanks for the help. IF I choose to always update iTunes to any current version available, will that have any effect on my iPad staying at this current version pre-IOS6? The reason I'm asking is that I have a ton of music in iTunes but have never transferred it to my iPad & I plan to get the new iPod Touch next month primarily for my music collection. Would I still be able to choose a few selected songs from iTunes (at the latest version) to send to my iPad without updating my iPad to IOS6? Please excuse all of my newbie questions... :eek:

Updating iOS is a manual process. You can update iTunes without any fear that it is suddenly going to "infect" all of your iDevices with iOS 6.

I took all of the music off my iPad to clear enough room for the update. When I put it back, I found that it appeared to use a lot less space than before, so it appears that some work has been done on the compression system in either iTunes or iOS. I presently have 266 songs on my iPad, occupying 1.1Gb of storage.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updating iOS is a manual process. You can update iTunes without any fear that it is suddenly going to "infect" all of your iDevices with iOS 6.

I took all of the music off my iPad to clear enough room for the update. When I put it back, I found that it appeared to use a lot less space than before, so it appears that some work has been done on the compression system in either iTunes or iOS. I presently have 266 songs on my iPad, occupying 1.1Gb of storage.

Thanks for the info!

inline6power

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use motion x HD as well and love it. Voice turn navigation and all the little goodies are with it. Very very good app for the price. I still have not updated because I am waiting for a jailbreak first and don't want to lose my current jb tweaks but I have used motion x from the beginning. Well worth it

sent from my galaxy s3

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
inline6power said:
I use motion x HD as well and love it. Voice turn navigation and all the little goodies are with it. Very very good app for the price. I still have not updated because I am waiting for a jailbreak first and don't want to lose my current jb tweaks but I have used motion x from the beginning. Well worth it

sent from my galaxy s3

Thanks for the tip. Looks good. Only trouble is that LandTrackerPro doesn't export to it, and it should. Not the fault of MotionX though.

Lazymary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you go back to previous iOS. I made the mistake of going to iOS 6 and now can't open any kind of attachment.

cbreze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to apple, the iPad and their updates. Are there any good reasons to do the update? I don't care about GPS, but is there anything else worthwhile, anybody who's installed the update? The consensus of the thread seems to be stay the hell away from it. I have no issues with the current os, just don't want to miss out on any improvements. Dont want to "F"-up what i got going either. From the list they give, seems kind of hohum. Also why include updates to Siri if it's not even on iPad?
One more question, my download of the update file has begun, every time I connect to wifi it DL's more. At some point it will be done, but I need to activate the install process, right?
TIA everybody. Great forum for learning and info.
Edit: wow, just heard of folks having wifi connection issues with os6. What's with apple anyway? They sell iPads that can only connect to wifi then screw that up? Geeez...what good is my iPad going to be of I can't use it? Nice update eh? In the bizarro world maybe.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cbreze said:
I'm new to apple, the iPad and their updates. Are there any good reasons to do the update? I don't care about GPS, but is there anything else worthwhile, anybody who's installed the update? The consensus of the thread seems to be stay the hell away from it. I have no issues with the current os, just don't want to miss out on any improvements. Dont want to "F"-up what i got going either. From the list they give, seems kind of hohum. Also why include updates to Siri if it's not even on iPad?
One more question, my download of the update file has begun, every time I connect to wifi it DL's more. At some point it will be done, but I need to activate the install process, right?
TIA everybody. Great forum for learning and info.

Correct, you have to manually initialize the install process by touching the install button. Don't do it unless you're sure, though, as there's no going back.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many good reasons to update to iOS 6. Maps is in its infancy, and will get better as they find the problems. This can only be done by individuals who know the areas reporting bad information. Apple has been hiring many of the top people away from Google to help with this. Whether or not it is worth doing now, depends on what you want. I am moving this to a more appropriate forum

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good point, Seadog. I sent 4 reports yesterday. The more people who do it the better it will become.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts