What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios 6 maps

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Well lucky you, where I live in Wales the map is in black and white! I ask you! In this day and age black and white! This app should not have been rolled out until much more work had been done on it. It's a disgrace.

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

it's all colour where i live in Wales. but, it has added extra venues and restaurants on my street that dont exist. LMAO. and that separate iphone app sorts my street view issues out nicely.

other than than a few niggles that'll surely get sorted, i personally like the new app. a fresh approach that works for me. i use maps almost exclusivly for the sat-nav like feature. thats awesome.

Last edited:

kaiser08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree Maps is no longer the premier app. Not only have we lost all of our POI'S the application freezes when used over a period of time. You have to force quit and bring it up again. Not easy when driving. Also it has you leave an expressway and get back on ten miles later, for no apparent reason. Terrible app. I am so disappointed.

Bumbica

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hm, Siri guided me quite nicely tonight, not sure why everybody hates it so? I tricked her on practicly on every corner but she silently redirected me in a second. I'm no expert in any way and havent been using previous maps at all, becuse my sense for orientation is awfull so telling me 'turn left' really helps
What I don't know is if it uses cellular data? I appreciate the answer.

new iPad 32GB wi-fi black

klickagent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ios 6 beta maps

for all developers who had the ios6 beta installed and are wondering why they cannot enable the flyover mode in the maps app on ios 6:
choose update in the itunes menu, holding down the option key and select the current ios6 ipsw (downloadable from apple).

peterb16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DCrosswaite said:
So am I correct in thinking that google street view is unobtainable in IOS6?

Hi, although it's not the same, Live street view free app is quite good, until such time as Apple give us back Street view

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
peterb16 said:
Hi, although it's not the same, Live street view free app is quite good, until such time as Apple give us back Street view

Apple will never give us street view, it's a Google product only available with Google maps. Apple may or may not develop a similar feature.

G

Grytpype

I fully sympathise with you guys, but some of us were warning people here months ago that this would happen and that Apple Maps would be a disaster (which everyone living outside of Squeedunk, PA, now knows.)

If you've updated to iOS 6, you won't be able to get Google Maps (or street view) back, but there's a way to use Bing maps that is the next best thing. Bing is the Microsoft version, and there's a good app called MotionX GPS HD which lets you download Bing maps (including satellite view, if you want that) for off-line use. Have a look at this thread, where I already posted about it.

peterb16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
peterb16 said:

Correct, however there is an app callers "live street view" but you do not get a full screen, but I suppose it's better than nothing

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reports now are that Apple wanted to offer turn-by-turn to the existing maps app and google denied them. Apple was then left with no choice but to break with the former app and develop its own. As is well known, Android maps have long offered turn-by-turn but iOS didn't. Google wants to keep that feature on android for competitive reasons over Apple.

Frankly, l left google maps a long time ago, which is why I own Navigon on both android and iOS.

The Apple app will eventually improve significantly. A business decision by Apple it may be, but that will eventually benefit customers. Short term, not so much, but long term, absolutely.

pkbarlo2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anybody needs to use street view on ios6, this is a good website:

streetviewforios6.com

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two items:

1. Live Street View Free is now fullscreen. Yay!

2. Here's a Maps screenie of the USS Midway Museum in San Diego. Enough detail for ya? Yes, it's in 3D, even the planes on deck. Not perfect, but I can ID every one of them. I think Maps is gonna be OK, sooner than later.

image-2817634923.jpg

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions

Latest posts