What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6.0.1 Is there still a wifi connect problem? Jan 2013

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
I am brand spanking new to the world of Apple. Just got myself a nice Ipad 4.

Been learning all the great things I can do with the pad, impressed I am.... However, there seems to be a problem, not with the hardware , but rather the iOS, in particular 6.0.1.

I can connect my wife to my home router,fritz box, if I stand within 8 m of the device, however if I head down the passage, waiting for my d-link range extender to take over, the connection drops, the pad can see the network, keeps trying to connect, lovely little spinning circles and all, three bars connected for 5 seconds and disconnects, over and over again.... My windows laptop has no problem, three bars fixed,

Go to work, sitting 4 m from the fritz box at work, connecting,nope ,disconnecting,connecting,disconnecting,pretty circles, round and round we go..... Cannot connect to the work router, laptop wifi, no problems, running like a Boeing,

Partner at work, has an iPhone, exact same problem, reckons he had no problem connecting before the upgrade to 6.0.1'

Simple deduction Watson, the problem has to be a wifi hiccup problem with iOS 6.0.1'

I had thought that this was solved on another thread,but alas 'twas not...

I have upgraded both routers and extender firmware,
I have renewed the lease,
I have turned airplane. Mode off and one , this worked for about 8 minutes,
I have reset my wifi settings,
I have rebooted the pad,this also worked for a bit then pad decided to start searching for network again,

I am now extremely frustrated,upset and hugely disappointed that Steve Jobs was not alive to see this, I am sure he would have kicked somebody,s arse from here to the moon...

If I read all the other opinions, I ain,t alone, I sit gnawing my nails, when experts tell me, that they have no problem, seems that e way it should work, the ipad should just move from network to network after they have been saved, seamlessly,grrrrr!

Question: Is there still a wifi connection problem with iOS 6.0.1 that still needs to be patched by Apple inc?

Think I am goins to eat my dinner in front of my tv now and use my new ipad as a tray!

:p

mortymoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that Roy! Following up the links.... which raises another question! Does anyone out there know if the Ipad running IOS 6 , need the wifi router that they are connecting through to be running IPV6 or is IPV4 alright.

I have a Fritzbox 7170 and see that it does not support IPV6, however as stated earlier my home router is exactly the same model and the IOS 6 can connect through it, but not the range extender TP-LINK....

cheers

:rolleyes:

OP
mortymoose69

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
Just for interest sake, my ipad is working like a boeing at home, I reset my range extender, plugged it into a standolne pc, reconfigured it and now my ipad is working perfectly throughout my house.... I even got to setup my Canon wireless printer to my ipad.... So in essence the dropping issue has nothing to do with IPV6....

Now I shall spend the week trying to figure what is wrong with the exact model of router at work, coz the ipad keeps dropping here, same with my partners iphone running ios 6... has to be a setting somewhere....

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mortymoose69 said:
Just for interest sake, my ipad is working like a boeing at home, I reset my range extender, plugged it into a standolne pc, reconfigured it and now my ipad is working perfectly throughout my house.... I even got to setup my Canon wireless printer to my ipad.... So in essence the dropping issue has nothing to do with IPV6....

Now I shall spend the week trying to figure what is wrong with the exact model of router at work, coz the ipad keeps dropping here, same with my partners iphone running ios 6... has to be a setting somewhere....

Can't you just have your IT person set up the work router to the same way you have the one at home? Or do it yourself if you are permitted?

OP
mortymoose69

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
Hi Roy, I live in the middle of the desert, I am the IT person amongst others :) I did screen prints of all the settings on the home router, brought it into work, and everything bar the the password and Name, are exactly the same..... the only other difference which should'nt have an affect, is the fact that the number of users on the work routers are one on the lan fixed and 4 on the wifi connection....

Yesterday whilst in the router, I changed the setting whereby you block anyone with a password from using the wifi and allow only certain MAC adds, I took the ipad MAC and added it manually onto the routers settings..... still no joy, the pad see's the router and the name, but the little circle just keeps going roond and roond...... something is missing and I know I am gonna kick myself when I do eventually solve it......

My brother is the IT manager of the local mine here, when he returns from JHB next week, I shall drag him in here and let him show me where I am going wrong.... see what his Iphone does...

Will let you all know...
Thanks for your advice...

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mortymoose69 said:
Hi Roy, I live in the middle of the desert, I am the IT person amongst others :) I did screen prints of all the settings on the home router, brought it into work, and everything bar the the password and Name, are exactly the same..... the only other difference which should'nt have an affect, is the fact that the number of users on the work routers are one on the lan fixed and 4 on the wifi connection....

Yesterday whilst in the router, I changed the setting whereby you block anyone with a password from using the wifi and allow only certain MAC adds, I took the ipad MAC and added it manually onto the routers settings..... still no joy, the pad see's the router and the name, but the little circle just keeps going roond and roond...... something is missing and I know I am gonna kick myself when I do eventually solve it......

My brother is the IT manager of the local mine here, when he returns from JHB next week, I shall drag him in here and let him show me where I am going wrong.... see what his Iphone does...

Will let you all know...
Thanks for your advice...

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I don't know if you have tried this, but I have seen it a lot on this forum. Log every device off the router and shut them down, unplug the router, wait a bit and power it back on. Start up each device and log back in one at a time. While doing that I suggest you test your iPad by going first on the start up and see if it stabilizes the connection or whether the more devices connect, the more unstable the connection becomes. Just a thought. Good luck.

mortymoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could'nt get a chance to reset the router, too many users downloading.... however, what I did do.... was set my laptop up as a WIFI hotspot...... logged the ipad onto it within a minute.... and away I go..... know it's not the right way..... but at least the ipad connects to the internet now.... happy.....

thanks for all the comments...

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mortymoose said:
Could'nt get a chance to reset the router, too many users downloading.... however, what I did do.... was set my laptop up as a WIFI hotspot...... logged the ipad onto it within a minute.... and away I go..... know it's not the right way..... but at least the ipad connects to the internet now.... happy.....

thanks for all the comments...

Glad to hear you found a work-around and that all is okay in the desert again. 8)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the latest upgrade to IOS 6.1 resolve any issues with regard to the WIFI ?

There seems to be increasing comment that this latest update has reduced WiFi connection problems. It's early days yet but I used to have WiFi drop out approx. weekly (cured by disconnect/reconnect of the router). Since download, all OK so far. May be my imagination, but it seems speed has improved as well.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
mortymoose69

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
There seems to be increasing comment that this latest update has reduced WiFi connection problems. It's early days yet but I used to have WiFi drop out approx. weekly (cured by disconnect/reconnect of the router). Since download, all OK so far. May be my imagination, but it seems speed has improved as well.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Early day's indeed, but I am seeing a few other forums complaining that the issues still persists...... really strange behaviour..... in the way that not all devices are affected...

Most reactions

Latest posts