What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Sync Questions

RRIXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have installed OS5 on my iPhone and iPad but I can't figure how to synch them so my calendars are the same and my photos will go from my iPhone to iPad. I have iCloud turned on in both. Any suggestions?

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was assuming that the sync worked automaticlly somehow. Just last night I discovered that while I no longer have to attach the wire between my iOS device and my computer, I still have to open iTunes on the computer, select the particular iOS device and manually start the sync process. That worked for me. Am wishing you luck on yours.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was assuming that the sync worked automaticlly somehow. Just last night I discovered that while I no longer have to attach the wire between my iOS device and my computer, I still have to open iTunes on the computer, select the particular iOS device and manually start the sync process. That worked for me. Am wishing you luck on yours.
It will sync automatically if the iPad is plugged into A/C power. Seems kind of silly, since the whole idea of Wi-Fi syncing was to cut the cord...only to be replaced by another cord. But I guess it makes sense as you wouldn't want a backup or sync corrupted by the iPad dying in the middle of the process.

Otherwise, you're correct, if the iPad isn't connected to power, you have to manually initiate the process.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have installed OS5 on my iPhone and iPad but I can't figure how to synch them so my calendars are the same and my photos will go from my iPhone to iPad. I have iCloud turned on in both. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With respect to your calendars syncing, be sure the option is turned on in the iCloud setup on your iPad (Settings > iCloud > Calendars "On") as well as your iCal program on your computer (Preferences > Accounts > iCloud "Enable this account").

Syncing photos is still the same...you have to initiate that from iTunes on your computer. More here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1386

If you're thinking of the iCloud Photo Stream feature, only new photos taken with your iPhone or iPad (if it's an iPad 2) will be automatically synced between all of your devices and kept on iCloud for 30 days (when they drop off they will still be on your computer and iDevices.). FWIW Photo Stream works extremely well. I took a picture with my iPhone the other day and it was on my iMac and my iPad in about 10 seconds. Amazing!

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
R

RRIXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My photos do synch now but my calendars do not. I have iCal turned on in both my iPhone and iPad, I've had both plugged into power but still nothing. I don't need my calendars sych'd with my PC, just my two Apple devices. Any other suggestions?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My photos do synch now but my calendars do not. I have iCal turned on in both my iPhone and iPad, I've had both plugged into power but still nothing. I don't need my calendars sych'd with my PC, just my two Apple devices. Any other suggestions?
So you have set up iCloud correctly and in Settings > iCloud you have "Calendars" switched to "On" correct? I'm not sure that you can sync your calendar without it being enabled on your computer though. Perhaps someone can confirm that.

Otherwise what you could do is create a calendar exclusively for your iOS devices and then only have that one sync to your iPad and iPhone. It sounds complicated but basically you can create any number of calendars and call them whatever you like and then when you create an event you can specify which calendar it should be included on...only one, a couple or all of them. Hope that makes a little sense. Here's the iCal setup procedures...

Mac 101: iCal

Hope that helps...others may have some suggestions as well.

Most reactions