What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Files Mention iPad 3

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iOS_5_1.JPG

TUAW reports today that sources who have inspected the iOS 5 beta’s USB device files have found references in the files to two iPad 3 models (iPad3, 1 and iPad3,2) and two iPhone 5 models ( iPhone 4,1 and iPhone 4,2), but strangely no reference to iPod touch 5. TUAW explains that the iPhone 5 is considered 4th generation because the iPhone 3G was 1st gen. Of course the mention of these devices is no guarantee that they will be released at all even, but it’s still a possible indication that the iPad 3 could be on its way sooner rather than later. TUAW notes that while the iPad references are new to iOS 5, the iPhone 4,1 and iPhone 4,2 references first appeared in the iOS 4.3 betas back in January. The lack of an iPod touch 5 reference could be another clue that the iPhone 5 will be released this September, as this is when Apple would usually launch a new iPod touch. If the lack of a reference in the files means that there will be no new iPod touch this September, it’s possible that this is because Apple is launching another product in that timeframe instead, which is almost certainly the next iPhone.

Source: iOS 5 hints at iPhone, iPad updates | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog, iOS 5 Contains References to Two Next-Generation iPad Models - Mac Rumors

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting discoveries. Considering the incoming competition, multiple iPad models sooner rather than later makes sense, though I would have expected an iOS5 optimized iTouch with better cameras, more RAM, and possibly a boost in secondary memory this fall as usual. I suppose it makes marketing sense to put it off until spring.

Forrest_Gimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't see too much competition yet. Still, it could be handy to have something along the lines of a 7"-8" iPad, just to fill the gap between iPhone and iPad. That's a slightly more portable form-factor!

rofthorax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Competition?

Let us not forget that open platforms breed under-featured apps, a result of the inconsistency of features across devices.

IPad's competition haven't a chance.. Just search Android for "synth" apps for instance.. Note, Androids tend to be sexless, is it any wonder google selected that for a name.

rofthorax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umm.. Open platform apps have lots of features, they just don't usually know how to make use of features on the devices, Like I'd figure an app like Starwalk wouldn't be possible on the Androids without having a device that has GPS, Accelerometer, Compass, that give a Wow attribute to Starwalk. When you see a android user doing all you can do on an iPad, that's when to be concerned, but I can pull out GarageBand anytime and watch others look on with envy. And am asked, by android users even, is that the iPad2?

LOL, nope just the ol iPad.

Now on my PC I have Ubuntu dual booted Windows, and understand the value of open sourced apps and such, just that open source has little meaning on a non-extensible mobile platform. And how many PC's have accelerometers, with compass and GPS. For unique apps you need a unique platform. Also it's a lot easier to debug for the minimal set of iPad and iPhone devices than for the android platform, I'm sure. On a open platform the only well-debugged apps are the free ones with available source. For closed source, an open platform is not an advantage, cause closed source programs likely have more bugs across devices (less eyes on the source , many more devices = higher chance of bugs) and are compared to freeware apps on the same platform. However on the iOS platform the closed source apps have an advantage of being custom designed to the devices, and a limited number of devices to test means less problems.

However if the OS gets overly complex and API's change, iOS apps will fail. This is a major problem on open platforms, like android, where library changes cause applications that used to work to become faulty. it's a bigger problem on Linux than it probably is on Android, frankly I don't see how the Android platform is ever going to be able to outdo the iOS platform, wishful thinking by those who think by adding features not on the iPad, from a company such as Samsung that has a horrible consumer support record, for a lower price, are doing themselves a favor, dream on.

rofthorax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Besides, i'd rather have the big screen pad to watch LOST from Netflix over a public wifi than some dinky (more pocketable) "mobile" device that I'd have to hold inches from my face.

Most reactions

Latest posts