What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5.1 Released

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iOS_5_1_out.JPG

9to5 Mac reports that iOS 5.1 has finally been released today. It was mentioned during the launch of the new iPad in San Francisco today that the new iPad was running iOS 5.1. The new OS seems to have a lot of features for the photography aspects of iOS devices, including the ability to delete photos from Photo Stream, an always-visible camera shortcut on Lock Screen for the iPhones and iPod touch 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gen, the ability for camera face detection to now highlight all detected faces, and a redesigned camera app for iPad. Other general fixes include the addressing of bugs affecting battery life, which is bound to please a lot of people, as well as podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad, Genius mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers, louder and clearer audio for TV shows and movies on iPad, an updated AT&T network indicator, and a fix for an issue that caused audio to sometimes drop for outgoing calls.

The update is out now, so why not try connect to iTunes now and download it, or simply go to Settings> General>Software Update to download wirelessly.

[FONT=&amp]Source: iOS 5.1 is out: Redesigned Camera app, battery optimizations, delete Photo Stream images | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence, Apple[/FONT]

enlightened

iPF Noob
Reaction score
remember people, if your Jailbroken, do not update to 5.1

follow information in this section iPad Hacking for if and when a jailbreak is available for this iOS

To add to this, if you've been on the fence about jailbreaking NOW is the time to do it! Once you update to 5.1 you'll lose all options to do so for the foreseeable future.

SunsNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated last night on my original iPad 64gb. No problems with the the update like I had with one of the previous updates where I lost all my data. Can't really tell any difference. Poked around the various screens and settings. I think the update will only positively affect the newer iPads but I could be wrong. I do know that the only way I could get the updated ipages was to be on the new iOS.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SunsNut said:
I updated last night on my original iPad 64gb. No problems with the the update like I had with one of the previous updates where I lost all my data. Can't really tell any difference. Poked around the various screens and settings. I think the update will only positively affect the newer iPads but I could be wrong. I do know that the only way I could get the updated ipages was to be on the new iOS.

I don't see a difference either!! Oh well!

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see a difference either!! Oh well!

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

The list of changes was limited. But being able to delete individual photos from photo stream ought to make a number of people happy, judging by repeated questions along those lines previously.

M

moparherb

I'm trying to upgrade to 5.1 on my iPad 1. Can't connect to upgrade server with either wi-fi or hooked to computer thru iTunes. Any advise? Never had a problem before.

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I kept erroring out yesterday until late evening. You might try later today. The servers may be getting hammered again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Simon1405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eventually did it... Had to update itines then took 2 hrs on a 15 meg broadband line.....they must be overloaded with requests.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did my iPhone 4S and touch 4 several hours ago. Took 15 mins and 30 mins respectively OTA. No hiccups.

That followed upgrading my iPad 1 and 2 the previous night. iPad 2 took 15 mins. iPad 1, I set up, went to bed and found done when I woke. No hiccups with with either of those upgrades.

Now have one more to upgrade -- my husband's iPad 1.

Simon1405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just downloaded iphoto....i know its ony £3 but i would have expected Apple to have included this in the update.....for free !

The upgraded - camera facility is better - the camera button on the right hand side of the screen is a great improvement......and being able to delete individual photos is good too.

Other than these, i cant see any other improvements...or have i missed something?

S

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5.1 Software Update

About iOS 5.1 Software Update
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
Redesigned Camera app for iPad
Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
Updated AT&T network indicator
Addresses bugs affecting battery life
Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:*http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222*

For more information on: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, please visit this website: *iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Most reactions

Latest posts